Opinions on 2nd hand 3808a for £700

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JimBob1971, Feb 4, 2009.

1. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    hi guys,

I've been looking to buy a receiver for a while and a friend offered me a Denon 3808a for £800, but will take £700.

I imagine this is a very good deal, but can anyone suggest any amps up to, say, £1000, that I should consider instead? (Onkyo 906 for £899?)

I'll be looking to use to for 5.1 and 2.1 duties (av rather than music).

Oh, and what does the 3808a offer over the 2809?

Cheers!
    J

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    No opinions? :eek: :)

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Why would you ask in a Denon forum if they think an Onkyo might be better? As owners of Denon kit will be in the majority the answer will be quite predicatble!;) Ask the question in the receivers forums where there will be a few more pro Onkyo posters.

The best way to determine between 2 different bits of Denon kit is to use the comparison feature on their website. It should demonstrate quite clearly what the differences are between them and then you can see what features suit you best.:)

4. JimBob1971

JimBob1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +744
    Thanks for the reply.

The reason I asked in the Denon forum is to find out

1) Whether £700 would be considered a good deal
    2) What I would gain by choosing the 3808a over the cheaper 2809? I'm primarily concerned about sound quality.

Both these questions seemed pertinent to Denon owners only.

Additionally, I asked for alternatives. Admittedly this question should have been asked on the main forum. Regardless of the question being asked on here, I'd liked to think that Denon owners are capable of giving honest answers rather than slavish fan-boy type answers, so might indeed suggest an alternative on this forum. The Onkyo was only one such option I saw. I'm not suggesting it is better or not, but if it was I'm sure there would be peole here who would be willing to tell me :D :)

Anyway, I did ask the same question in the main forum. Unfortunately the only reponse i've had is someone else looking to find out the answer to the same question. So much for guys rushing to praise their respective bits of kit! :)

I do intend to take your advice. I'm going to try and listen to both the amps mentioned this weekend.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  5. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Having moderated here for quite a while I know the Guys here are not the fan boy type. I try to encourage folks to post in a way most likely to get a response. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In this case you are asking a question involving pretty new kit, and pulling other manufacturers into the mix most here will only know by reputation. That normally prompts opinion rather than actual experience. You are doing precisely the right thing by listening yourself. Don't be put off, if you do go with Denon and need to know any setup info we have some pretty clued up guys here.:)