1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions of the Arcam Solo and what speakers to use with it

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by simonpzw, Jun 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. simonpzw

simonpzw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone give me their opinion of the Arcam Solo and what speakers would best suit it given that I mainly listen to classical chamber music, solo piano music and small group jazz?

I'd appreciate your opinion and suggestions.

2. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I've never heard one, so won't comment on the sound.
    Have to say that it felt cheap and plasticy for the money.
    I couldn't quite understand why they'd sell a unit like this with cheapy plastic buttons on it, when Denon can sell the DM-31 for 1/5th of the price, and have better build quality.

3. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It is probably not for me to pass comment as people are entitled to their opinions.
    All I can say is listen to one to aid your judgment. If at the end of the day the look or feel of the Solo outweighs its audio capabilities for you, then fair enough.

However I will correct factual information for clarity. Only the 'chromed' button is plastic. All the other buttons, the front panel and tray front are solid aluminium, not plastic. Metal buttons in a metal front panel may seem noisier than you are used to in an all plastic design.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I have seen a few comments on the Arcam Solo and Mr_Sukebe’s opinion is the first negative one I have seen.

I was very close to buying one of these for practical reasons but a cheaper alternative came up. I personally think the Solo is a great idea for thos where space is at a premium and doesn’t want to compromise too much in terms of sound quality. I still may pick one up for downstairs but will demo one first.

5. BlueTurtle

BlueTurtle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Arcam SOLO is trully a brilliant system, IMHO. Earlier I had a NAD C352 with Infinity Primus 150 with Sub and thought it was a great combination, until I got myself a SOLO and the whole concept of musicality changed completely.

While the NAD C352 is a wonderful little AMP, quite frankly I feel the SOLO out do it easily.

6. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,177
    I had mine used with B&W CM 2, mostly for chamber music. Far too 'polite' and lifeless combination IMHO. I sold the Solo and have been happier with bi-amping with Rotel power amps.

>I'd appreciate your opinion and suggestions.<

I'd try and demo Audio Analogue Enigma V2 and Sonus Faber Toys.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  7. kushtibari

kushtibari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I compared the Solo and the Linn Classik and at the time preferred the Classik. There was nothing particularly wrong with the Solo, I just liked the way the Classik dealt with music. I didn't make any comparisons with the tuner section.

I would also consider the Primare CDI10 - I wanted to try one but couldn't find one to demo anywhere near. It has good reviews and other Primare stuff I've heard has been very nice.

8. BlueTurtle

BlueTurtle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I also understand that Linn Classik is better and infact I wanted one too. Though, the dealer for both (LINN & ARCAM) is the same here in KSA I could only the find one piece of the SOLO. The choice here is very limited hence my AV collections so far: Marantz, Onkyo, Denon, HK, NAD and Arcam.

I seek valuable guidance/advise from forum users on Naim Nait XS with Dali Ikon 6 as an upgrade? I can't audition either product but prepared to go for it based on rave reviews - any personal experiences are welcome.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  9. kushtibari

kushtibari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I wouldn't say that one is better than the other, merely different presentation of the music. The Solo actually has a bit of extra functionality over the Classik, not that that was a particular concern.

10. BlueTurtle

BlueTurtle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The Solo actually has a bit of extra functionality over the Classik...."

Assume the extra bit refers to "extra power" of the SOLO?
    I've also read a direct comparision where the reviewer claimed the Classik to "wipe out the floor of the Solo" with better overall presentation....

Well, too late for me now but hope future "would be" buyers would benefit from these write-ups.

11. BlueTurtle

BlueTurtle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi learned folks, I plan to add Naim Nait XS with Dali Ikon 6 to enhance the Solo's power. Would be grateful for any input, guidance etc. on possible alternatives or user opinions on either Naim Nait XS with Dali Ikon 6.

Look forward to benefit from the vast knowledge of forum users and thank everyone in advance.