1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions of Arcam DV78??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MrNPG, Sep 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi folks,

Anyone got any opinions of the Arcam DV78 DVD player?

I'm not bothered about being able to play DVD-Audio or SA-CD, just want a good quality DVD player for connecting to my plasma via the component connection.

Cheers.

2. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    A very nice player.Very well made.

3. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Agreed, although there are others, especially if you have no intention (as some do?) of using it as a cd player.

4. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi Steve, which others are good? Denons or Pioneers? I'm not interested in using it to play CDs, purely for playing DVDs.

Cheers.

5. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    If we are talking about the retail £600 for the Arcam, then i would not discount the Tosh 9500 which can be had for the same money, i have always loved the PQ of the high (and the odd lower) Toshiba's. There is a Denon a11 on the classifieds at the moment which you might get for less than the Arcam, i am not universally a Denon fan but this is a pretty capable dvd player for a third of its original rrp and of course if you stretch a little further and don't mind buying into the quirkyness then the good old Tag FLR is PQ AND SQ loveliness.
    Lower down the order there is the not so well built but supreme PQ Panasonic which can be had for £200 and if R1 DVD PQ playback is your requirement then for £200 you CANNOT go wrong with the older Tosh 900.
    The Arcam is a great machine indeed but if you are simply after SD dvd PQ on a 42" plasma then i don't imagine any of these machines are worlds and worlds apart, perhaps the older ones offering VFM.