Opinions needed!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Chandler, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Chandler

Chandler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Although I have about 50 films still to watch (either film and/or extras) plus 12 on order up to end of May - I am thinking of buying a few more titles and would value anybodys opinions on the following titles:-

The Cell
    Romeo Must Die
    Shaft (20000)
    Miss Congeniality

Also, I have Armour of God but as I also have Drive, Bruce Lee Box Set, Once Upon a Time in China & Crouching Tiger - do you think it is worth keeping or should I swap for a different title?

On the same subject I have Armageddon & Rock (flippers) is it worh upgrading? and are they re-issuing Goodfellas and Face-Off (my other flippers!)

Sorry for the long post - any help appreciated.

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the same subject I have Armageddon & Rock (flippers) is it worh upgrading? and are they re-issuing Goodfellas and Face-Off (my other flippers!)

You should upgrade Armageddon and Rock to the R1 Criterion versions.

Face/Off is rereleased on 11th June on R2. It is being rereleased with Con Air and The Rock. It is not known at this time if these three titles will be Anamorphic or still cut (they're all cut presently).

As for the others: Romeo Must Die should be R1, though you'd be best renting it and seeing if you like it. It's so, so.

Shaft 2000 is OK but I watched it and then traded it.

Miss Congeniality I have on pre-order so can't say. Haven't watched The Cell yet but remember R1 is cut (yes that is NOT a typo).

Armour Of God? Well thats up to you. Great version of a good Chan movie IMHO.

Regards Neil.

3. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I enjoyed Romeo Must Die - got a great soundtrack imo

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Well, having seen "The Cell", it's one of those movies you'll either love or hate.

In my case, I felt that it looked amazing! The Computer Generated Imagery is truly awesome, and looks superb, however, there is nothing in the way of any kind of plot. At the end of nearly 2 hours, all you're left with is a kind of "Yeah... and then what happens?" scenario.

How on earth this got to be a US Number 1 at the Box Office, I don't know, but it isn't a film you should buy unless you crave visuals, and don't care about plot structure.

I'd rent it first, then see what you think, but it's not as good as it should have been. I think this film redefines the word "style over substance", just as "The Matrix" did, a few years back!

Pooch

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Chandler,
    I got my armageddorn upgraded to a non flipper free of charge.
    An address was given on the radio for anyone who had the original to send it in and it would be exchanged, free.
    I sent mine in and within 2 weeks I had a new one sided one. Cool!!
    That was over a year ago mind, if the offers still on I might be able to get you the address if you like?
    :D :D :D

6. Chandler

Chandler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers - an address would be good and I will write to see if they are still replacing flippers with dual layered discs free of charge.

BTW - what is your opinion on Airplane 2 _ i have read mixed reviews some saying not as good as Airplane but others saying it is better? I know that it is very expensive an 80 min film in stereo for £20 but may purchase if worth it.

thanks

7. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +770
    Airplane 2 is as good as Airplane - they are both great !! £20 is definitely worth it to see William Shatner's performance.

"Its a cow, its a pig, its a horse with a hat on"

"What do you mean we haven't got a bridge?!"

[ 14-04-2001: Message edited by: SOK ]

8. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Matrix?
    Style over substance?
    I'm Speechless...
    Maybe you should watch again, ignore the special effects and listen to the dialogue?

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But R2 Armageddon (dual layer) is anamorphic, unlike the R1 standard/Criterion editions. Criterion extras are great on that film though...

DF

10. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes R2 is Anamorphic. But the Criterion is remastered from the original negatives.

Remember an Anamorphic print does not neccessarily make a better print. In my opinion Criterion Armageddon is better.