Opinions needed: Samsung HW-Q950A soundbar with LG CX TV?

whodatninja117

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm new here.

I own a LG CX TV and am interested to buy the Samsung HW-Q950A soundbar (or Q960A as it's called in europe)
I want to use it primarily to watch movies and gaming.

Less watt than an LG SN11R but it has more channels 11 vs 7.

But the Samsung soundbar has features that only works with Samsung TVs, like Qsymphony and Spacefit Sound+. Am i missing out an anything important by having a LG TV? Are these "must have" features?

Is it generally best to have TV and Soundbar from the same brand and year of release?

If you play Xbox, just skip Samsung 2021 series (QXXXA). The whole 2021 series Soundbar's eARC can't passthrough Dolby MAT 2.0/2.1, so you can't enable Dolby Atmos Home Theater on your Xbox. Set TV to PCM is not an ideal choice, and AUTO comes with unacceptable audio lag.

Last edited:
If you play Xbox, just skip Samsung 2021 series (QXXXA). The whole 2021 series Soundbar's eARC can't passthrough Dolby MAT 2.0/2.1, so you can't enable Dolby Atmos Home Theater on your Xbox. Set TV to PCM is not an ideal choice, and AUTO comes with unacceptable audio lag.
Except that this is an LG TV issue, not Samsung, and will most likely be fixed by LG, because the C9 had this issue, which LG patched and everyone with a C9 says it works perfectly. LG has not issued the same path for the CX, or C1, so you get it hoping they will update it (which they probably will)

Except that this is an LG TV issue, not Samsung, and will most likely be fixed by LG, because the C9 had this issue, which LG patched and everyone with a C9 says it works perfectly. LG has not issued the same path for the CX, or C1, so you get it hoping they will update it (which they probably will)
I've got a C9 and my Q950T with firmware 1019.5 definitely doesn't work with Atmos games. It will not lock the mode, but it will get height speaker audio. Sometimes it will start interrupting every few minutes which makes it unusable.

I've got a C9 and my Q950T with firmware 1019.5 definitely doesn't work with Atmos games. It will not lock the mode, but it will get height speaker audio. Sometimes it will start interrupting every few minutes which makes it unusable.
Okay, but we are talking about the Q950A. The sound issues and dropouts of the Q950T have been well documented on their forum page.

Okay, but we are talking about the Q950A. The sound issues and dropouts of the Q950T have been well documented on their forum page.
Did the Q950A mention Dolby MAT support in its manual? If yes, you might have a chance.

Did the Q950A mention Dolby MAT support in its manual? If yes, you might have a chance.
What do you mean ‘has a chance’ this has already been confirmed to work on a C9 + Q950A + XSX many times on the Q950A forums…

What do you mean ‘has a chance’ this has already been confirmed to work on a C9 + Q950A + XSX many times on the Q950A forums…
I still don't understand why this is TV side(LG)'s issue?

If this is LG CX/C1's issue, it will not support eARC Dolby MAT 2.0/2.1 passthrough whatever soundbar I use.

But in fact, it seems that there are only Samsungs's 2020/2021 Soundbars don't support it on LG CX/C1. I tested Sony's HTX-8500, Z9F, Samsung's Q80R(2019) and Klipsch Cinema 800 Soundbars on LG C1. They all works with eARC Atmos(Dolby MAT 2.0) passthrough on my Xbox.

That's why I still confusing about this issue.

I still don't understand why this is TV side(LG)'s issue?

If this is LG CX/C1's issue, it will not support eARC Dolby MAT 2.0/2.1 passthrough whatever soundbar I use.

But in fact, it seems that there are only Samsungs's 2020/2021 Soundbars don't support it on LG CX/C1. I tested Sony's HTX-8500, Z9F, Samsung's Q80R(2019) and Klipsch Cinema 800 Soundbars on LG C1. They all works with eARC Atmos(Dolby MAT 2.0) passthrough on my Xbox.

That's why I still confusing about this issue.
Because it did not work on C9 until an update was released earlier this year and now it works. Also based on the fact that if the TV is set to pass through mode you can’t enable Dolby Atmos on the XSX, however if you change it to Auto, you CAN enable it on the CX/C1 but there is an audio delay. Clearly if the bar did not support Dolby MAT it would not work at all in that case. The problem is there is some type of EDID agreement issue with the TV and soundbar.

Because it did not work on C9 until an update was released earlier this year and now it works. Also based on the fact that if the TV is set to pass through mode you can’t enable Dolby Atmos on the XSX, however if you change it to Auto, you CAN enable it on the CX/C1 but there is an audio delay. Clearly if the bar did not support Dolby MAT it would not work at all in that case. The problem is there is some type of EDID agreement issue with the TV and soundbar.
So... The EDID issue only happens on certain models of TV& Soundbar. (LG + Samsung 2020/2021 models in this case)

How do Apple TV’s go with the C1/CX with the Q950A? It works fine for my B9 but possibly thinking of upgrading and curious if it works connecting ATV directly to TV as Shield/UB820 will have to go through SB due to lack of DTS.

So... The EDID issue only happens on certain models of TV& Soundbar. (LG + Samsung 2020/2021 models in this case)
How do Apple TV’s go with the C1/CX with the Q950A? It works fine for my B9 but possibly thinking of upgrading and curious if it works connecting ATV directly to TV as Shield/UB820 will have to go through SB due to lack of DTS.

So it appears the LG has finally released an update to fix this issue for the C1/G1 (and probably the CX but that is unconfirmed yet)

Just want to provide some help/info for those having the same problem as me.

I have a CX tv and purchased a Q950a soundbar. I am uing a Roku Ultra for my streaming media.

Using the tv option eArc set to auto provided Atmos info to be received by the soundbar but a minor audio delay watching streaming movies. If I set eArc to passthrough, Atmos audio would not register on the soundbar.

To work around this issue, I have plugged my Roku ultra directly to the HDMI port in the soundbar and have left eArc setting to passthrough. All of my HDMI inputs on my CX are set to bitstream. Atmos works fine and registers on the soundbar and there is no perceivable delay. The only 2 drawbacks I have noticed is there is a minor delay when using the roku remote to turn on the Roku and for the TV to register the HDMI signal and provide picture. Also, there is a minor delay before the audio is registered and then plays but there is no perceivable delay as stated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom