Opinions needed on new coat

mbren26

Hi all,

I am here to ask a question and seek peoples opinions on something myself and SWMBO are disagreeing on.

I am looking for a new coat and have been looking around for something that calls out to me.
The other day I found the exact coat, a north face mcmurdo parka. As soon as I saw it I wanted it.

Now the thing is, SWMBO thinks that spending £270 on a coat is excessive and stupid. I on the other hand am a big believer in you get what you pay for and wouldn't think twice on spending that much if I like it.

What does everyone think?

Also if anyone has that coat, what do you think of it.

Regards

dannius

Personally I wouldn't spend that much on a coat but only because I haven't got it, if I could afford it then I would if I liked it that much. I paid about £70 for my Superdry Windcheater which is a lot for me but it's over a year on and I still love it and wear it all the time, it was well worth the money to me.

Simba

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

I am here to ask a question and seek peoples opinions on something myself and SWMBO are disagreeing on.

I am looking for a new coat and have been looking around for something that calls out to me.
The other day I found the exact coat, a north face mcmurdo parka. As soon as I saw it I wanted it.

Now the thing is, SWMBO thinks that spending £270 on a coat is excessive and stupid. I on the other hand am a big believer in you get what you pay for and wouldn't think twice on spending that much if I like it.

Regards

i was in the exact same position. i saw this jacket and i had to have it!

i looked around, alot, and saw that this jacket is almost never on sale - £260+ for this i thought, is it that good... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

luckily for me, Blacks had a 30% sale on, so i got a HUGE discount on this. £180 i think i paid in the end!

i had i tried it on and i knew i wanted it....by the way sizes are HUGE as its a proper outdoor jacket, so assume people wear lots of layers when in the great outdoors. I always wear a large i bought a medium (first time in a long long time lol. take a bit getting used to due to the padding, feel like a big bear with it on :D

as for the jacket itself - it is AWESOME. very very warm, goose down insulation and you dont get to the point where you are boiling as it has hyvent ventilation. the water proof is like nothing i have seen before - it is literally like high quality wax on a car. the water beads and flies off and doesnt absorb. i had to walk to work in gales and heavy rain and i was dry when i got to the office. a few beads of water were just shaken off. its crazy. yes you get what you pay for and the quality is excellent - i am now convinced the north face stuff is worth it.

lucky for you sale is still on ... 25% though buy hey! £206 excluding delivery. i walked past the other day, glasgow branch, i think the 30% was still on instore.

The North Face Men's McMurdo Parka - Blacks

get it you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:

Simba

Distinguished Member
oh and i managed to get the mrs to buy it for my anniversary present lol.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
I think £270 is way to much for a coat like this unless you are planning some serious arctic adventure. Do you really think you will get the opportunity to wear enough to justify the expense?

That said - it's your money - spend it one what you want.

However, I would wait a few weeks, Blacks are on the verge of going into administration - they might have a fire sale soon ;-)

nheather

Distinguished Member
Depends on how long you will have it before you want to replace it.

I am looking to replace my Berghaus. It cost around £200 but that was 10 years ago. Still works fine but I've decided it's time for a replacement.

So how do you look at it, £200 for a coat or £20 per year for a coat - expressed as the latter it seems very cheap.

So as for your £270 coat. If it's going to last 10 years then that's £27 a year - your wife could easily spend more on tights over that period. Even at 5 years it is only £52 a year (£1 a week).

Cheers,

Nigel

Rich Marshall

That's a quality coat and you'll easily get 10 years wear out of it if you look after it.
Or if you get bored of it you will get a very decent amount back on ebay as it's a premium item :smashin:

If you can afford it then it's worth it.

Also, if you can afford it you can afford to get her a little gift to ease the pain :smashin:

cobster666

Banned
That's a quality coat and you'll easily get 10 years wear out of it if you look after it.
Or if you get bored of it you will get a very decent amount back on ebay as it's a premium item :smashin:

If you can afford it then it's worth it.

Also, if you can afford it you can afford to get her a little gift to ease the pain :smashin:

+1 to this

my wifes spent more on a purse

Simba

Distinguished Member

Berties

Banned
I agree close to £300 on a jacket is stupid- especially winter coat which isn't exactly about fashion and making a statement. Could understand a really high quality leather jacket I suppose, as that would last decades. My last jacket cost £35 and apart from the furry hood looks like yours. IMO you're paying for North Face name, like Bergaus.

planning some serious arctic adventure.

And I bet those who've been in the north pole wouldn't touch that brand?

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I personally wouldn't buy that for £270 but that's down to personal taste, if you like it and you can easily afford it (and know that you will be wearing it for a few good years), go for it!

qwerty321

Id say £270 for a coat is quite a bit as well and wouldn't do that myself.

We all like to spend on things though. I mean looking at your kit list, many people would say that is odd, spending so much.

Personally I wouldn't spend that much on a coat but only because I haven't got it, if I could afford it then I would if I liked it that much. I paid about £70 for my Superdry Windcheater which is a lot for me but it's over a year on and I still love it and wear it all the time, it was well worth the money to me.

I got a Superdry Windcheater last year as well, great coat. I had the £65 one without hood though. Couldn't justify the extra £10 for a flimsy hood!

dannius

qwerty321 said:
I got a Superdry Windcheater last year as well, great coat. I had the £65 one without hood though. Couldn't justify the extra £10 for a flimsy hood!

No mine hasn't got the hood either, I'd never put it up so didn't see the point in getting a coat with one!

qwerty321

No mine hasn't got the hood either, I'd never put it up so didn't see the point in getting a coat with one!

It would be useful for when it rains though. £10 extra was silly though.

There are various deals I've seen on Hot UK Deals where you can get a Windcheater for around £40 now!

lynx

Now the thing is, SWMBO thinks that spending £270 on a coat is excessive and stupid. I on the other hand am a big believer in you get what you pay for and wouldn't think twice on spending that much if I like it

Indeed, point her here Crombie

dc8900

Distinguished Member
dannius said:
Ooh bargain! :)

In that context, OP is positively saving money by getting the North Face coat instead :D ;)

Last edited:

hopeless

Wait for the January sales if you can and then take a mooch to House of Fraser, Debenhams etc.

It might sound strange but if you can wait even longer, you ideally should buy your winter stuff out of season and you can save a lot.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
I don't think I'd spend that on a coat, but that's because I'm short sighted and would rather spend it on a holiday or something!

£270 is massive, but if it lasts you longer than 5 x £50 coats over the years then it's not really.

I just bought a new coat from GAP. Big heavy winter effort. £20 at the outlet stores when I was on holiday!

I did buy the wife a £200 North Face coat for her birthday though.

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
mbren26 said:
Hi all,

Regards

I can't help feeling that you are looking for something to justify yourself in an argument with your other half and possibly even with yourself.

Whatever the rights/wrongs anything you get on here won't help.

Whether an item of clothing (or any other product) is value for money and affordable depends on your attitude to money, your income and your priorities. Do you and your partner normally agree on spending? If not your problem is a bit wider than just a coat!

I could afford that much money on a coat and if I came across something I liked and thought I would get the wear out of then I'd buy it. On the other hand I haven't actually spent that although I've easily spent that on outfits, for special occasions, that have only been worn a few times. I can remember the winter after my son was born though- previous coats didn't fit and I just couldn't afford a new one; I was cold that year! I'm rambling but trying to illustrate that no one else can solve your dilemma

mbren26

DIYlady said:
I can't help feeling that you are looking for something to justify yourself in an argument with your other half and possibly even with yourself.

Whatever the rights/wrongs anything you get on here won't help.

Whether an item of clothing (or any other product) is value for money and affordable depends on your attitude to money, your income and your priorities. Do you and your partner normally agree on spending? If not your problem is a bit wider than just a coat!

I could afford that much money on a coat and if I came across something I liked and thought I would get the wear out of then I'd buy it. On the other hand I haven't actually spent that although I've easily spent that on outfits, for special occasions, that have only been worn a few times. I can remember the winter after my son was born though- previous coats didn't fit and I just couldn't afford a new one; I was cold that year! I'm rambling but trying to illustrate that no one else can solve your dilemma

Thanks to all that have posted so far, especially those that have experience of said coat and are confirming my thoughts that it is indeed an awesome item.

I'm not looking for justification in an argument, I am the sort of person who will buy something if I like it regardless of the price. I just wondered what a general opinion would be on spending this much on a coat. My wife believes it will be no better than a £30 jacket from asda or the local market. I currently wear a berghaus coat that I paid £250 for and it has lasted me close to 7 years. It is still perfectly good but I just fancy a change.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021