1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions for a novice - best TVs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Nik_P, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Nik_P

Nik_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I need some expert advice on pointing out some top TVs that I can get in the sales. I am not sure if I want a 28", 32" or 36". But it needs to be from a top manufacturer (Panny, Tosh, Sony, Phillips, etc. ) but no one specific - all my other gear is Sony, so interested if anyone thinks some Sony models really stand out and are good value.

Not sure if this informs anyone's advice but, we (me and the missus) generally watch Freeview and DVDs. We dont yet have a home cinema system but thats next on the list of things to buy. We sit about 3m away from this set.

Can anyone give me their views on
    1. what size TV might suit
    2. and their opinions on the best 28", 32" and 36" TVs and why they would go for one size/model above the other.
    I am not wedded to any particular size of TV, so if 28" are miles better than 32" and 36" or vice versa then I would really like to know.

I dont mind spending £1000-£1500 if I think that I'm getting real value for money. But if the difference between a set at this price and another one at £500 will only be noticed by the very trained eye -then I would probably go for a cheaper model.

If in all of this anyone knows if their top recommendations are available in the January sales then pls let me know. I would love to get a price match with someone like John Lewis and a 5 yr guarantee.

Thanks in advance - all replies much appreciated

:confused:

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    32" or 36"

Good Sony models are NX200, DX50, DX150

3. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Have alook at the new jvc 36p38 hd tv or the toshiba 36zp3 picture frame tv both are future proof sony seems to be in another world at the mo with there tvs.