Opinions - DiVA | AVR350 surround sound receiver.

Ark Angel

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of relplacing my Marantz SR7500 AV amp with the DiVA | AVR350 surround sound receiver. I know the Arcam is twice the price but will there be a marked improvment in sound quality? What do you think of the Arcam?

Just read the rest of the posts and threads about AVR350! It's the best-sounding AVR there is.
I am thinking of relplacing my Marantz SR7500 AV amp with the DiVA | AVR350 surround sound receiver. I know the Arcam is twice the price but will there be a marked improvment in sound quality? What do you think of the Arcam?

Ark Angel,

Really respect Marantz but replaced my faithful and quite musical SR5200 with an AVR300 about 18 months ago and never looked back. Before finalising my decision, listened extensively A/B to the SR7500 and AVR300 at my dealers. On a value for money basis and just for HC, the Marantz performed quite well but for surround music the 300 was well in front. For stereo, no comparison. With everyone reporting that the 350 is better again, what can I say.

Apart from an eventual upgrade being possible within the Arcam line I am completely happy and I still smile everytime I use it.

The Arcam Diva Avr350 receiver is good for music but for movies i still think it sounds abit laid back compared too some of the japanese models, it just is'nt as exciting.

Japanese amps generally have a very dynamic and to my ears slightly harsh sound. This can be great for action movies where you want the biggest bang for your buck, however they dont have the subtleties of the Arcam.

For music the Arcam wins hands down, my AVR350 was a massive jump up from my Yamaha.

I'd agree with Canti1982. It's purely a personal taste thing but to my ear the Japanese receivers (Marantz less so) seem to exagerate the surround effects somewhat. Small calibre cartridge cases hit the floor with a sound more like a 105mm shell case. A friend has a Yamaha AVR which does this and compared to which my AVR300 seems quite laid back. To be honest, it is very exciting with action movies however the more subtle movie sounds such as wind and rain seem so much better on the Arcam, let alone the music which is such an integral part of most soundtracks. As I said at the start, it is all personal opinion and taste and there is nothing wrong with the Japanese receivers, its just that I personally far prefer the Arcam slant on things.

I also prefer the sound of the arcam, to the Japanese amps. I had a denon 4306, which was exciting during action movies, etc. But I found the forward nature of the denon fatiguing, irritating, and almost unlistenable, over time. At first it was very exciting, but they I just reverted back to using my tv's speakers, because I couldn't use my receiver more that 1 hr.

Now with my arcam, fatigue is gone, and I love to use my reciever. You cannot place a value, on the sound of the arcam. I would much rather increase resolution and detail, at low level volume. Than blast my self out of the room, with my denon. Voices with the arcam are outstanding, things just sound they way they should, no more, no less.

Dan

Thanks for your opinions I have ordered the AVR 350. All I have to do now is sell my Marantz SR7500. I will try that well known auction site.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom