Opinions: 28"/32" Help Needed! (Free Beer).

scottishcammy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok, ok, the free beer was a lie....but I had to get your attention somehow!
Right, down to business, My Sony Trinitron 28" that I bought in 1998 has stopped working. Continually switching off. I have 3 kids and NEED a television (before I committ infanticide).
With this in mind, I was speaking to a TV engineer who recommeded Panasonic as best (but pricy) and Toshiba as next best for value.

I quite fancy a 32" but will settle for a 28".
I have spent ages researching the net and can't decide so...please, your opinions would be gratefuly appreciated....WHAT SHOULD I GO FOR?!?!?
Looking to spend max of £500-£600 (less would be cool though!.

Many thanks,
Cameron.

P.s. Word of advice....don't have twins!!!

scottishcammy said:
Ok, ok, the free beer was a lie....but I had to get your attention somehow!
Right, down to business, My Sony Trinitron 28" that I bought in 1998 has stopped working. Continually switching off. I have 3 kids and NEED a television (before I committ infanticide).
With this in mind, I was speaking to a TV engineer who recommeded Panasonic as best (but pricy) and Toshiba as next best for value.

Have you considered getting your TV repaired?

Hi, yes I have bu the cost is prohibitive. I don't want to start paying £100-£200 only to have to do the same a couple of years later. The TV engineer chappie also warned against it.
I'v been looking and can get a Panasonic panasonic tx28dtx11 for £399. Must admit. I'm quite drawn to it. Mixed view on the forums. Anyone in possession of one?

scottishcammy said:
Hi, yes I have bu the cost is prohibitive. I don't want to start paying £100-£200 only to have to do the same a couple of years later. The TV engineer chappie also warned against it.

Did he tell you the cause of the fault?

My friend's Sony (8 years or so old) also started turning itself off...he was about to buy a new telly when the damn thing started working again...maybe moisture or something...you could wait a few days not switching the sony on and then check it out whether all's back to normal...

toshiba 32zp48 for £549 from mka television...........owned one for a month and very happy with it...................a similar thread not so long ago by my good self was the deciding factor

Hi, decided on a 28" (doing as I'm told) so searched for the Panasonic tx28dtx11, finding one at £399 (cheapest out there?). Unfortunately, when I attempted to buy it, the website said it was unavailable. Following a phonecall to their company they recommend phoning back in 2 weeks to see if Panasonic has given them a date for new arrivals. What a bugger!

Still in your budget you can get it from LXDirect.com for £476.99 inc 10% off so its now only a little bit higher than RRP!!! :) Also check reviews on it on this forum, may help you decide.

Mmmm. 2nd hand Loewe Aconda 9381 32" CRT. Lovely. Can pick one up for under £600, sometimes even under £500 on ebay.

Got mine last night :D

Personally I wouldn't trust the opionion of any one person as gospel, even if they are a TV engineer.

If you want an objective view on brand reliability look in 'Which?' magazine's annual survey and if you want to find out the best picture quality go to a shop that has a good quality RF feed to the display models and judge for yourself. Especially if you're thinking of going for a 100Hz model because many people don't like 100Hz side effects.

Another benefit of going to a shop with a decent feed is that you should be able to check out the digital features such as the digital text performance and the program guide. You don't want to find yourself with a TV that does digital text slower than analogue teletext and an EPG which is hard to read.:lesson:

I got myself a Pansonic 28 inch-DTM1, its a very nice TV. Bought it at Comet since someone got me 10% discount. Think the price before discount was £325. Probably get it cheaper online, but I like to buy things like TV's locally.

Was looking at Plasma/LCD but decided just to get a decent 28inch CRT to tide me over for a few years, so I can buy a cheaper and most likely better HDTV screen, then shift this on to the bedroom or something.

The TV itself puts out a nice picture, very sharp and vibrant. Sounds is ok for watching news etc. but not a big deal since I have a seperate amp.

I'm selling a 32" widescreen Philips TV in the classifieds. Well below your budget.

Thanks Petey, but I fancy a 28", cheers anyway though. As I mentioned, I tried to buy the Panasonic form Comet because it was so cheap. I emailed them to ask when they would next be in and below is a copy of the email I've just got:

The product you have selected is currently out of stock in all of our warehouses and we are unable to supply your order. I am really sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

It would appear that Panasonic have discontinued this particular TV.
I have spoken to out buyers and unfortunately we have no plans to order any further stock of this item.

I do hope you are able to select an alternative from us and if you require any further assistance in selecting your goods, please feel free to contact us.

Please accept my apologies that we are unable to supply the product of your choice.

Regards

That's that buggered then!

Arrrggghhhh!!!! Thought I'd have a last double check of the TV before I went and finaly bought a new one and, guess what....bloody thing is working fine! However, I suspect it will blow up around about xmas day! God knows what is happening/went wrong with it.

err... im sure a fellow scot mentioned free beer?
There was something about a lie or something - but nobody would lie about free beer... Would They!?

Thats high treason in Scotland!

Good luck with the telly - oh, and mines a Miller - thanks.

:D :D :D :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom