1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion sought - 42" or 50" with SKY

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mikeycrawford, Jun 22, 2003.

1. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am hopefully about to take the plunge with a pioneer plasma screen (might be sidtracked if newest Fujitsu screen are as good as people say).

Now, I don't watch that many DVDs, it will predominantly be used for watching SKY and surfing t'internet via HTPC.

My living room is around 5m long and about 2.5 m wide. The screen would go on the far wall and the main settee is about 4m away, directly opposite this far wall. A second settee will run parallel from from this far wall.

I am concerned that if I go for the 50" screen then SKY will look too poor to the eye and so maybe the 42" is the way to go.

I have seen the 50" pio (HDE) in action, but it was not hooked up to SKY so i have no first hand experience of what it would look like.

Can anyone more enlightened than myself tell me what to expect and state what their preference would be, given SKY is my main concern?

Also, if I go for a pioneer screen, I would like to stick with pioneer for the surrond sound. Whats the best pioneer solution for surround sound?

TIA

Mike

PS. As an aside, is the MXE *significantly* better than the HDE picture quality wise - not too bothered about future expandability (just need SKY, DVD (might just use the PC), PC, maybe a Console or too) and anyway I'm sure the HDE tuner box could be replaced my some enterprising soul in the future if need be, just as 3rd party boards for the MXE are now making an appearance.

2. DEANO65

DEANO65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive just got the fujisu 50, my opinion,a lot better than the pioneer,it has 3000 to 1 contrast and hd resolution, if you are close ill show u cheers

3. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Deano,

you anywhere near Kosovo?:laugh:

What model is your Fujitsu and did you do plenty research and hands-on comparisons between the different manufacturers?

Mike

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The MXE is my favourite UK plasma, I take it DVD will be via PC? The Fujitsu is fiddly with PC's and IMHO results not as impressive. Radeon cards support the mxe resolution 'out of the box'. You could use a JS vga or component vid box for sky. As to surround sound, are you looking for an 'all in one' or going for separates? The VSX 2011 takes some beating, except it has so many features the remote is a bit of a nightmare! Partner it with some speakers suited to you ears and room, and your system will be hard to beat without silly money.

5. DEANO65

DEANO65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    about 4000 miles away so no demo mate, model is 50xha10es. i did a lot of research and compared pioneer pannys and budget models. im very happy with the fujitsu cheers

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    For Sky I rate 42 over 50 as 50" shows up all the crap (I am talking Panny here.) but this is at 2m so 50" at 4m may well be fine, You may want to invest in a good de-interlacer like an i-scan pro to get the very best out of the RGB sky. Ps what size dish do you need for Kosovo????
    Are their many plasma dealers over there???

7. mikeycrawford

mikeycrawford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hear what you say about the IScan box. Seems to work wonders for some people, not so much for others. Wonder if I could borrow one on approval :)

Anyone else watching SKY on a 50" plasma??????

I'm only peacekeeping in Kosovo, back to UK for good in 3 weeks, so looking forward to blowing my hard earned.

Mike

8. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Having got a 42" plasma a lot of the SKY broadcasts look pretty crap. Nothing to do with the Plasma.

You also notice a big difference between chanels, the main SKY chanels are quite good, but try watching something like Motors TV or Extreme TV and it looks really bad. This is why I opted for the smaller 42"model (oh an cash had something do with it as well!) :)

9. modeller

modeller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I too watch mainly sky, we demoed 42",50" (fujitsu) and 42" (pany) and 43" (pio MXE).
    At nexnix sky looked crap on the 50" fuji, I didn't rate the 42" much either when I saw it using my sky+ box in comparison to the pio.
    In the end it came down to the pio or pany, chose the pio due to the slightly larger screen, good PQ on sky and DVI input.
    The 43" seemed to be a good compromise for sky.

steve