1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion on the end of season’s cliff-hangers?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, Aug 13, 2003.

?
  1. Love end of season cliff-hangers they just make me long for the next series, and add that bit of spi

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Hate end of season cliff-hangers they are a cheap and unfair ploy to get viewer for next season. If

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. Not bothered either way.

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,525
    I think is a nasty ploy to get you to start watching next seasons opening episode then you stick with the series.

Once of a day programs use to live or die by the quality of the program. If it was great you just waited till the next season started, but now most end with the cliff-hanger.

Just this last week 2 series have ended with the lead into the next series. One of them last season story ended there and then in the last episode, but people have still watched it this season and as far as I know it has been every bit as successful if not better.

An other bad point with these end of seasons cliff-hangers is if the show is cancels. So if you have been a loyal viewer to the program they treat you with no respect and leave you wondering what happens next.

2. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Hi,

Farscape for one example, that ending was just too much.

I do hope that some how it may return, perhaps on another network?

Klippie.

3. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Back in May 1990, I was living in the US watching Star Trek Next Generation (it's first showing). The end of season cliff hanger was Picard abducted and converted by the Borg, there's this tense stand off and the dramatic music builds and Riker says 'Fire' meaning to destroy the Borg cube with Picard on board.
    Then they said continued September. I was so so so gutted as I was moving back to the UK before then and the UK hadn't started showing Next Generation then. Would have to wait AGES (like 2 years) to see the conclusion.

Luckily friends in the US recorded the episode (plus a few others), sent me the tape and my Dad borrowed a video player that could play US format tapes.
    Despite the agro, it was worth it and despite that, I still think cliff hangers are good so long as the preceeding episode has plenty of action/suspense/story (depending on what program) and not just a set-up for part two.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I find they are totally muted because you forget what happens. BTW any idea when Enterprise restarts on C4?

5. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I don't think it even starts on Sky until next year, so channel four much later on.
    Enjoyed the most recent Enterprise cliff hanger 'cause there was plenty of stuff happening in it and still it left you waiting for more.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

On the whole, I quite like a good cliffhanger plot, but as the poll states, if the show is already good anyway, then I'll watch it, cliffhanger or not.

As for "\enterprise" on Channel Whore, as far as I know, they have decided to not continue showing it, due to "poor viewer ratings"! The good news, though, is that Five have brought the rights to Season 2 onwards, just as they have bought the rights to "Angel" Season 3 onwards.

Pooch

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well Channel 5 (no logo) is better than Channel Poor.

Why the hell didn't it go to BBC:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I saw part of the first series on Sky 26 in pan & scam and low bit rate, was better on C4 should be great on C5

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,525
    I do not mind a good cliff-hanger myself when it’s from week to week but not season to season. Especially some series only put them in at the end of season to tempt the viewers back. I think they did one with some series about Doctors and someone went over a cliff (is that what they mean by cliff-hanger:laugh: ) next series, well there was no next series. So the loyal viewers never knew what happened.
    Ones on a series Travailing Man the story was going to be wrapped up in series 3, the only thing the main actor decided not to make the final one but at least the program makers had the decency to explain what would have happened at the end.

9. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    24 really wound me up this year I have to say. I knew it was going to end like this in some way or another as it was to much to fit in to the last few episodes to bring it to a full conclusion, plus the fact that we already knew there would be a Season 3 to follow.

Although I enjoyed it immensely I believe I may be in the minority who think that Season 1 was better that Season 2.

LDR

10. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    LDR:
    I preferred Season 1 as opposed to 2. I thought that the whole Kim Bauer story could have been cut apart for the last couple of scenes where she actually evolves somewhat as a character. In addition, some of the plot lines were signposted in advance like the George Mason bits. I still like the season, though and have high hopes for season 3.

Garrett:
    This is going off memory, so I could be wrong, but did you find Angel to be good? I mean that most of the single episodes ended with a question, certainly, but the ending didn't. Yes, the series is going in a new direction, but it certainly wasn't a cliff-hanger. In fact, this was, and is, my fav show at the moment. Just don't want it to be a Buffy Retirement Show, if you see what I mean?

Klippie:
    There are some moderately substantial rumours, in SFX, that Farscape will return as a well funded mini series (like Dune, though I would like to think MUCH better!). So perhaps Farscape might well have it's ending?

Russell

11. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,325
    As Garrett said I also much prefer cliffhangers that are during the season rather than at the end of the season.

Also if you know the series is not coming back I tend not to watch the end of the last episode (such as Dark Angel) which you know has a cliffhanger ending as it is pointless.

Watched the last episode of Bugs a few years back which ended on a cliffhanger but never came back! Left not knowing what happens.

Buffy was a show that used cliffhangers well as far as I remember.

Also I did like the end of 24 ending as a cliffhanger but if the rumours are true and when the third season starts 2-3 years will have passed makes the cliffhanger a bit pointless.

Greg