1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion on Tag AV30R?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by nathan_silly, Mar 4, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a good, but affordable AV processor with better software support than the usual korean/chinese made AV Processors.

How much is this unit new, and will it fit into my Audiolab PX system well?

Thanks
    Nathan

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    depends on spec,nathan...the base spec unit is £1800.

For this sort of money you could buy a used AV32R and ensure an upgrade path that leads right up to the AV192R,whereas the AV30R is not intended to provide that.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about a 2nd hand AV30R? I'm not bothered with long-term upgrading- I'll probably replace the Tag in 10 years or so- so the AV32R upgradability option is moot.

5.1 will do me- guess that can be upgraded to 7.1 later on. Don't need HDCD, Mpeg-II or DTS

5.1 input is important. Pro-Logic II would be nice.

Nathan:D

4. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Can you find one? I've never seen a SH AV30R for sale.

My vote is still for the AV32R. I went through the same dilemma a couple of months ago. As far as your future plans are concerned, never say never.

D.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Fine nathan....I just got the impression(obviously wrong)from your post that you were looking for upgradeability when you mentioned software support.

Also the bit about a secondhand AV30R.....thought you were looking for new prices....in any case I dont think you'll find used ones yet.

Perhaps if you tell us exactly what you do want we can help more.

A visit to the Tag website may be useful www.tagmclaren.com

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AV30R has firmware upgrades though?

That's the most important thing, say for instance a bit ago the DTS click caused problems with some processors- and it was fixed.

Thanks
    Nathan

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Have a look at Tag's website....all that the AV30R has in terms of software upgrades are HDCD,MPEG2 and DTS-ES,all of which you said you werent interested in.

I have no doubts that Tag will offer some software upgrades as appropriate to the machine's capabilities,but it specifically wasnt intended to be as flexible as the AV32R.

8. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Tag do provide firmware upgrades but not for much longer as far as the AV30R and AV32R are concerned. The current firmware version is 3.75. The next version will be 3.80 but that will be the last one for these two machines. Beyond that, Tag will only be developing firmware for the AV32R Dual Processor and AV192R.

D.

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Dual processor version is too expensive :( I guess I could get a 2nd hand AV32R, it's in my price range.

I've heard the processor has the usual Audiolab sound- very clinical, and forward.

Will this make my system too upfront and harsh?

I've heard the Lexicons have a warmer and more atmospheric sound (in AV)- do you think this is the safer bet? I guess I can get a MC-1, lacking 5.1 but it decodes DD and that's all I want really. Missing Pro-Logic II, but Logic 7 is supposed to be excellent.

Nathan

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Whoever said they sound forward probably had it partnered with the wrong ancillaries.....as you can see,I have an AV32R and also B&W 805s....a recipe for a forward sound if there was going to be one....with good amps and good sources,the Tag is a very neutral processor...just dont feed it poor quality source material,otherwise it will simply reveal it.

11. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I agree with alexs2 (I think secretly we might both be Tag fans ;)). In my setup, the AV32R is certainly not forward. It sounds very neutral and if anything, I'd characterise its performance as relaxed.

Try and arrange a couple of demos.

D.