Question OPinion on Refurb units

Shug1968

Novice Member
Reaction score
Wondering what the opinion is on refurb units.

Walmart has LG OLED65B7P refurb for just under $1600.

The LG OLED65B7A new is about $2500 from reputable sellers.

From what I have seen the B7P was a Costco exclusive with basically the same picture quality.

I could throw on a 2 yr (probably crappy) warranty for $90 and in the end save over $800 for essentially the same TV. Any warnings against going this route?

ANy help breaking my paralysis by analysis is appreciated.

What’s the source of the refurb? If it’s ex-display, I would leave it. The display will probably be shot.

There isnt any information on the source. They have had them available in stock online only.

The problem is you don't know what has been done to the set. If the display has been run at max settings all day and then switched off at the wall (as tends to happen in shops), then there is a good possibility that there is burn in on the screen at worse and a shortened lifespan at best.

I hadn't considered that the units they were reselling as refurbs would be display units. The page states:
"This is a refurbished product. It has been tested and inspected by the manufacturer or third-party refurbish supplier to function like new, with limited to no signs of wear. All refurbished TVs come with a minimum 90-day limited warranty provided by the manufacturer or supplier. The product may arrive in a generic box that may show some prior wear."

I don't want a former floor model for the reasons you state, and I suppose there may be some in their inventory. I guess I will go back to beating my head on a wall debating the cost of a new unit over another system. Or maybe Ill talk myself into a 55" screen that is $1000 cheaper than a 65.

I’m not necessarily saying these are ex-display models, just that you don’t know the history of a refurbished TV. They could have been returned because the person who bought them felt the banding was too bad to put up with, for example.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom