Opinion on J-MLab subwoofers, vs REL

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by EN, May 8, 2004.

1. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for sub for good cinema setup.
    Has anyone tryed JMLab Cobalt or Electra subwoofers?
    Or I have to stick to the REL Q400 for example?
    Thanx

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Could you list some facts regarding your prospective sub? For instance: do you listen to music as well as AV, how big is the listening room, what partnering equipment do you have, what is your budget and does the size of the sub matter?

On the subject of the Q400, it is certainly one of RELs better subs, but not worth the RRP. I got mine for £700, though, which is more palletable. You could go for an SVS or Rocket sub for this kind of money, but I would be reluctant without a demo.

Russell

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've read some good things about the Elextra sub but for its price, I'm pretty sure some of the more popular competition (SVS) will have it beaten for performance but I think it will give the REL strong competition. I saw the Elextra sub going for a decent price ex-demo somewhere recently.

4. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Bulgaria, so prices here are good compare to UK.

I could spent up to 1000J.

My current set-up is SONY 5000ES, JAMO CONCERT 11 (870) front with center and sur with the same series.

And HT is primery objective.

BTW what SVS means?

5. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
  6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    EN,

That's a superb set of speakers you have, there. Does the sony work well with them? I didn't buy a set of the Jamo Concert series as I thought my amp at the time (Denon 3801) wouldn't drive them properly.
    Anyway, those fronts sound great as a stereo pair, and the centre and surrounds were unusually musical, too. When I heard them a couple of years ago, they were brilliant in stereo and Tri-feild modes. All the speakers were running as large, which is not usual in AV. I would still be tempted to try and run them all as Large, to take advantage of their abilities, though.
    This means that your sub will have to be extra capable in terms of bass depth, as the concert range all go very low themselves. The obvious choice would be Jamo's own D 8SUB to match the rest of the system. Other choices would be the Q400 (which does seem to go quite low), B&W 750 (the 675 is also a contender, but isn't in step with the Jamo's, quality wise IMO). The Velodyne SPL range, preferably the 1200 is supposed to be good, though I haven't heard them myself. As I said before, there is also SVS and Rocket, too, which both seem to have the right qualities you are looking for, but you will have to buy direct from the manufacturer.
    For Rocket subs go here

Nearly forgot :suicide: If Paradigm distribute speakers in Bulgaria, then they make superb kit, too. The Servo 15 is excellent and their new range of subs look just as impressive.

Russell

7. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Russel,

new SONY (I had SONY 50ES before) 5000ES is very bright, a lot of high detail. With some music it could sound a little harsh ot boring, but with cinema you simple can't macht with DNON at the same price. Before taking SONY, I triyed DENON 3805, but the sound in HT has no punch and sounds to me a little dull.

Fronts are LARGE, but center and sur are small. SONY reciever is set to cut off frequence at 70Hz which is OK to center and surs.

I care about disigh, and there is logic in buying D8 sub for 350J, but I can hear it in a store. Any experience with this sub?

8. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I didn't know Sony amps could have a crossover at 70Hz!

Unfortunately I haven't heard the D 8SUB, but have the THX models. Jamo make good subs (speakers in general really) but are a underrated. If I had the whole Jamo set, and liked the ethos, or design, or sound character - whatever you want to call it (my Bulgarian, regrettably, is even worse than my English ;) ) - then I would be tempted by the d 8SUB.

Russell