Opinion on Digi Cameras with AA batteries

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
Well it's xmas time and scrapbook jnr wants a digi cam.

I don't seem to be able to find any at an okish price (for a jnr!) that comes with a li-on rechargeable battery.

We had a camera for a while which was powered by 3 x AAA, which gave about an hours use with the LCD screen on :eek: .

I supposed it could have just been a camera with poor power consumption, but are cameras with AA any better?

SparklyPuppet

Standard Member
My Canon S3 IS is pretty good on batteries, it takes 4 AA. The beauty of one that uses AA is that replacements are easy to get hold of when the charge runs out (including any spare you might be carrying with you)

You can of course use NiMH AA rechargables, the ones with the bigger number last the longer.

Also, with the more expensive li-ion batteries, they cost more in the first place to get a spare.

I've been know to whip a set of AAs out of our various remote controls when in need of some extra juice at a party we're throwing :cool:

Pirate!!

Banned
Ahoy!

You didn't state a price. Have a look here.

Li-ion battery, 18 month warranty, image stabilisation and 12x optical zoom etc etc etc. You won't find a better spec camera for this price anywhere else. Li-ion battery for this camera only cost a few quid on eBay. I know, I've bought them and they work just fine.

clockworks

Novice Member
Get a camera that can have the LCD turned off.

I use 2500mah AAs in my Pentax DSLR. I've taken about 450 shots in the past week, on one set of batteries.

senu

Distinguished Member
Get a camera that can have the LCD turned off.

I use 2500mah AAs in my Pentax DSLR. I've taken about 450 shots in the past week, on one set of batteries.
TBH, most allow you to select the viewfinder if only to save battery life ( Just like camcorders) although if you (also) use an SLR or DSLR you get used to using the viewfinder anyway and only use the LCD for "postview"

Li ion Batteries do take a higher charge than AA in any guise and seem to last longer in use
However a Cameras good battery life is a property of efficient power management by the camera itself

The newer NiMH AA batteries are rather good.( as clockworks states from personal use though 2500mah is quite high capacity :cool: )

With its battery grip, the Canon 350 (and 400D) have an AA adaptor ( 6 AA cells) which come in handy when one runs out of power, but given the fact that a fully charged Li Ion is good for about 400 shots (with 50% using flash ect), fully recharges in 1 hr and a spare ( non canon) costs about £20, As such emergencies needing AA cell use are rare.
Canon 300D ( and 20D) from the same stable seem less frugal with battery use

My wife's Canon Sureshot A95 uses AA ( 4X) quite efficiently

As such the kind of batteries used don't define whether or not the camera is OK. Some which use Li ion ones do so very inefficiently