Question Opinion: A budget TV; 4k / HDR or solid 1080p set?

What TV on a budget?

• Cheap 4k set

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Midrange 1080p set

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Wait for next year's improved budget 4K choices

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

BambooBadger

Standard Member
Reaction score
Evening everyone,

I am a new user / poster but long time viewer of this forum. I have a question concerning budget HDTV's and would love to hear peoples opinions and viewpoints on this.

I am currently looking to upgrade (coming from a now jurrasic 720p 32" panny that has served me well!) to a 40-43" HDTV with a good picture quality, but on a budget. Picture quality is really my only interest.

So here's my question to you all...

Since 4K / HDR TV's are now available on the lower spectrum (e.g. Samsung UE43KU6400, Hisense H43M300 etc) and similar in price to decent midrange 1080p panels, 4K sets look like an enticing prospect and an obvious choice.

However, I have heard so many conflicting reports that budget 4k panels don't generally have great upscaling abilities or picture quality (hence the budget price) and that HDR on budget UHD panels are either 8bit or simply HDR compatible as opposed to native, so the question is are the budget sets really worth purchasing?

Would it not make more sense to purchase a solid midrange 1080p panel for the same price, that may have lesser features but makes up for with solid black levels, contrast, and general better picture quality?

Is the addition of 4k and lesser HDR compatibility really a better option than a solid 1080p panel? Especially if someone is only viewing 1080p source material and images / videos?

This is my current dilemma, I understand the idea of future proofing but it seems counterproductive in regards to budget sets. Or would even a budget 4K / 8 bit HDR set be an upgrade over a midrange 1080p set?

EDIT: I've added a third choice, wait to see whether budget 4K TV's next year come with improved visual quality and improved HDR 10 bit panels as standard?

I look forward to hearing everyone's opinions on this :)

Last edited:
In short the TV market is a mess at the moment. Yes it makes sense to go for a better quality 1080p screen, especially at small sizes and when upscaling standard definition content is involved. Problem is the manufacturers think otherwise and don't produce good quality HD screens anymore and often a UHD TV will outclass the now bottom of the barrel 1080p TVs.

The last decent HD TVs were probably last year's Sony w80c series and the curved LG 910v OLED (only 55 inch).

Other than that it does seem like it's best buying a budget UHD screen. Sometimes even when you can't sit close enough to notice the increased resolution they are better quality than today's HD only TVs.

When to buy is a difficult one. If you want HDR I don't think it's worth buying a TV unless you can buy a Samsung KS7000 or 7500. anything less and you aren't viewing HDR you it's potential. So in that respect it probably is better to save.

On the other hand no one knows. You would hope next year we will see cheaper HDR capable TVs compared to now where cheaper TVs can accept the signal but just not display it well, but who knows? I wish I had a crystal ball

Thanks for the responses. It has been a long time since I've researched TV's in-depth and you are quite right Dodgexander the TV market does seem in a mess. I guess the market is still very much in transition with all the hype now being focused on HDR and 4k. Haha, yes I wish I had a crystal ball as well, it would certainly make it easier to decide!

It's very interesting to hear what others recommend. Thanks la gran, I'll definitely check out that Sony TV you linked, cheers.

Just got the Sony 805 in 50" from Richer Sounds brand new and boxed for £569 including a 6 year warranty. I set it up yesterday and watching You view HD channels the picture was amazing, very impressed! Most of my viewing will be via these channels and Blu-rays, so no interest in UHD/4k etc. I had the stores last one, but you can check on Richer Sounds website to see which stores have what stock left. As it is a 2015 model they will eventually get scarce to source one, so I would look at one sooner than later!

Thanks for the responses. It has been a long time since I've researched TV's in-depth and you are quite right Dodgexander the TV market does seem in a mess. I guess the market is still very much in transition with all the hype now being focused on HDR and 4k. Haha, yes I wish I had a crystal ball as well, it would certainly make it easier to decide!

It's very interesting to hear what others recommend. Thanks la gran, I'll definitely check out that Sony TV you linked, cheers.
I am almost tempted to buy one myself :) just for the sake of a bigger, brighter Tv

Just got the Sony 805 in 50" from Richer Sounds brand new and boxed for £569 including a 6 year warranty. I set it up yesterday and watching You view HD channels the picture was amazing, very impressed! Most of my viewing will be via these channels and Blu-rays, so no interest in UHD/4k etc. I had the stores last one, but you can check on Richer Sounds website to see which stores have what stock left. As it is a 2015 model they will eventually get scarce to source one, so I would look at one sooner than later!
Very wise choice. You could buy another TV in 4 years for the same price and it would still be cheaper than getting a bare minimum HDR TV today the KS7000.

Great feedback, thank you! I will probably head over to a Richer Sounds today to check out the TV. I am very much leaning towards purchasing this Sony set (probably in the 43" version) as I am in the same boat, I do not currently view any 4k content.

Can I ask what TV you upgraded from? Is the Sony a worthy upgrade? I will be coming from a very old 32" 720p LCD Panasonic (which I still think looks great!) but I definitely feel it's time for an upgrade. So I would be hopeful this Sony would offer quite an upgrade to my current set.

It was a 6 year old Panasonic 46" Plasma which cost over four figures!
I have a 40" Samsung LED in the dining room and I love the various smart features including screen mirroring, which the Penny didn't have. I like the extra brightness and sharpness of LED and always thought the Plasma looked it bit dull in comparison.

Also I was getting an extra 4 inches of screen for the same width as the Penny.
Was a bit concerned about the Android OS, but so far it has been fine, make sure you update to the latest software.
The Youview works well also.

It was a 6 year old Panasonic 46" Plasma which cost over four figures!
I have a 40" Samsung LED in the dining room and I love the various smart features including screen mirroring, which the Penny didn't have. I like the extra brightness and sharpness of LED and always thought the Plasma looked it bit dull in comparison.

Also I was getting an extra 4 inches of screen for the same width as the Penny.
Was a bit concerned about the Android OS, but so far it has been fine, make sure you update to the latest software.
The Youview works well also.

Wow, fantastic, so if that Sony TV is an upgrade to that, they's great to hear. Unfortunately they didn't have one of the sets in my local store to view but think I'm still going to go ahead with it. Thanks a lot for your input.

No problem, for that price with a 6 year warranty you cannot go wrong

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom