Opiliones

Foebane72

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Otherwise known as Harvestmen or Daddy Longlegs, these are the only arachnid-related species I am really nervous of, because of the proportions.

I mean, take a look at this horde of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:patas_20100626.jpg

Does that not fill you with dread and creepiness and fear? It does me!

Don't get me wrong, most spiders don't bother me, even large ones, as long as I can see their bodies and legs well, I'm fine, and Tarantulas I consider as cute as little animals! But these beasties, I don't like seeing one of them near me, and a mass like the above? AAGH!

It's the sheer long nearly-invisible legs and tiny bodies that does it for me, you see. But I've been told that they're nearly as effective as mainstream spiders in getting rid of nastier bugs, but I don't see how - they seem too frail to me.

In any case, I'm trying to overcome my dislike of these creatures, if they are good creatures ridding us of bad ones. The only one I remember throwing into the toilet recently was the one that was hanging literally above my pillow - as much as I may grow to tolerate these creatures, I'm not going to accept one that could easily fall onto my pillow and be eaten by me as I sleep.

Now... craneflies, that's another matter entirely, and I think they're much worse, but one step at a time... :)

I think your image link is wrong, here you go:

Patas_20100626.jpg

These are the only arachnid-related specious that I am not nervous of. I can't explain why. If I see one in the house, I tend to just leave it. I'm not nervous of crane flies either - and regularly collect them in my hand to throw out the window - because it's annoying when they dive-bomb your head.

But all other spider varieties get squashed immediately on sight. I'm fine with other insects though.

Spiders don't really bother me in the slightest.

Going underwater, now thats a whole different ball game!

Don't particuarly like flying either, but will tolarate it if i have to.

I didn't realise Daddy Long Legs could be harvestmen, that's what I always knew as the word for craneflies. Apparently it is applied to either. (thank you Wikipedia :))

I didn't realise Daddy Long Legs could be harvestmen, that's what I always knew as the word for craneflies. Apparently it is applied to either. (thank you Wikipedia :))

harvestmen are money-spiders

Nah, money spiders are tiny... At least they are around here :rolleyes: No more than 5mm or so.

Money spiders are teeny tiny! I thought daddy long legs were the flying spidery things with the long bodies. These spiders taht look like a tiny blob body with stupidly skinny long legs I've seen for the first time this year

IronGiant said:
Nah, money spiders are tiny... At least they are around here :rolleyes: No more than 5mm or so.

Ah that's just how they build them in Oxford. You should see the Nottingham versions, they're like tarantulas.

These are the only arachnid-related specious that I am not nervous of. I can't explain why. If I see one in the house, I tend to just leave it. I'm not nervous of crane flies either - and regularly collect them in my hand to throw out the window - because it's annoying when they dive-bomb your head.

That's how I feel too, our house is full of this species of spider and they don't bother me at all, they tend to sit in a corner keeping themselves to themselves,

Other spiders with the thicker legs really bother me though. Weird.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but since this species of spider moved in about 18 months ago I've not seen any of the other species of spider like the normal house spiders which I hate, it seems unlikely that these little skinny things are dominant over their fatter thicker legged fellows, but I really hope it's the case.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence but since this species of spider moved in about 18 months ago I've not seen any of the other species of spider like the normal house spiders which I hate, it seems unlikely that these little skinny things are dominant over their fatter thicker legged fellows, but I really hope it's the case.

Fat chance. Those things I hate could NEVER be dominant over the friendlier bigger, fatter spiders in my house. I'm not even sure they can spin webs.

we have 1 or 2 sitting in a web in 7 corners downstairs and I'm 99% sure they are the type you are talking about, they are decent size spiders but with small bodies and very thin long legs. The other spiders are way worse as they always seem to be on the move scurrying across the lounge floor.

From memory, i am sure these "skinny" spiders are poisonous and its the fact their teeth (?) are not strong enough to pierce human skin.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom