Quantcast

Operation Mancave

Gmac87

Novice Member
Hi folks,

Been researching here for a while now. Moved into my house about 2 years ago which has a detached garage in the garden so it was a dream the first time I saw the place to have some sort of cinema/mancave setup.

I had a few quotes which were outrageously outside my budget and I'm pretty useless when it comes to DIY so that wasn't an option. A family friend though had some time on his hands and is doing the work for a far more reasonable cost, and he's very good at what he does. He started working on it a few weeks ago just doing a few days a week when he can and it's now nicely taking shape.

I'll post up some pictures and hopefully get some suggestions and advice for setup when it's all finished.

Dimensions when accounting for stud work/insulation etc will be around 5.8m by 3.8m.

This was the garage before any work started.

20200118_123930.jpg
20200118_114259.jpg

As you can see, not looking ideal inside. The roof wasn't in great shape and there were a few leaks. This was made even worse as fibrous boards were used previously which just sucked up the water.

20200405_145404.jpg
IMG-20200520-WA0011.jpg

New felt roofing put on, proper boarding used and it was looking much better once it had dried out. The ceiling inside was then lowered to allow for proper air flow and insulation. Stud, wiring, flooring then taken care of and this is where it is now.

IMG-20200513-WA0007.jpg

Attachments

Gmac87

Novice Member
As I say, any input or advice would be really appreciated:

Projector: Budget would be roughly £400. Seating position would be around 3.5 meters away a screen which I'm guessing would be around 100-110 inches. Does anyone have any recommendations? Most likely candidate so far was the Epson Tw-650. It will be used for some light gaming but mostly movie watching. The room should be able to be darkened quite a bit.

Sound: I have a Yamaha HTR 207 AV receiver/5.1 speakers which I bought a couple of years ago. Seems some decent kit for someone on a budget but I haven't really had much chance to test it out properly as I don't want to upset the neighbours.

Input/Connectivity/Usage: Projector will be used for some light gaming and mostly films from the usual Netflix/Prime steaming sources using a firestick. Biggest question is then best way to use internet. My phone has unlimited data so I can use that if need be as a hotspot. Or, are there better options? Technical knowledge is limited so not sure if I could boost wifi signal from the house to the garage or use an ethernet cable from the router into the garage where I'd presume I would attach another router?

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Hello and welcome.

Biggest question is then best way to use internet. My phone has unlimited data so I can use that if need be as a hotspot. Or, are there better options? Technical knowledge is limited so not sure if I could boost wifi signal from the house to the garage or use an ethernet cable from the router into the garage where I'd presume I would attach another router?
It would be great if you can run and ethernet cable from your router into the garage. You wouldn't need another router (or wifi extender) there unless you were wanting to have wireless technology working there. Instead you could run a few ethernet cables to where you need them. How many devices do you want to use the internet, and where with they be?

Gmac87

Novice Member
Yeah that could definitely be an option to connect my PS4! Any sort of streaming I'm doing is likely going to be from a firestick though so I'm not sure the best way to go about that unless I use my phone as a hotspot

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Yeah that could definitely be an option to connect my PS4! Any sort of streaming I'm doing is likely going to be from a firestick though so I'm not sure the best way to go about that unless I use my phone as a hotspot
Using your phone as a hotspot sounds like a 'needs must' work-around, rather than a solutuion. Unless it's too difficult (expensive), I'd definitely put a cable in. For my outbuilding (not used as a cinema room) I installed 4 cables to the main house. More than needed, but it wasn't harder than putting in 1, and the cables are installed around the room.

A games console will want a connection, as will a smart TV, maybe the projector, and who knows in the future. These things can work wirelessly, but the fewer devices competing for a wireless signal the better IMO.

Gmac87

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice Triggaaar. Suppose when I think about it, all the individual devices I might use will all add up if sharing bandwith from my phone. Suppose it doesn't hurt to future-proof too if I can.

Gmac87

Novice Member
I now have a proper floor in. Nice and level and also strengthened where I'm hoping to put my pool table if I can get my hands on a cheap slate one

IMG-20200523-WA0003.jpg