1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operation: Bodge It 'Til Ya Built It

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by nrees87, Dec 6, 2017.

1. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Operation: Bodge It 'Til Ya Built It
    (LONG POST WARNING: Make yourself a cuppa and strap in!)

"Long time listener, first-time caller!"

Background

I have been hooked on AV / Gaming / Tech since I first repaired a broken CRT Television at the age of 10 so I could continue playing my Super Nintendo.

I have always wanted a decent setup since I was 16 and I combined Xmas / Birthday money with my first months' wages to buy a 32" "HD Ready", 720p flat screen TV for my bedroom and was blown away by the step up in quality over the 10 year old CRT that was connected to my 1st gen Xbox & VCR.

Fast forward 14 years - throw in a good lady, two dogs and a string of money-pit cars (another "hobby"!) - and my decent setup is still a no-show. :thumbsdown:

Not that I'd swap the missus or the dogs, of course (well, not the dogs at least :D).

A few years ago, after years of renting flats and houses - we finally bought our own home. It needed a lot of work to bring it into the 21st century, but it was livable so we moved in and started saving.

Floorplans
    This is how the house was laid out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the proposed layout once the renovations are completed:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Project: Mo' Problems, Mo' Money

First up was converting a spare bedroom into an upstairs bathroom (so we didn't have to walk the entire length of the house upstairs, down the stairs and then the full length of the downstairs) - which quickly turned from "a bit of plumbing" into a full overhaul, including all new plasterboard walls and ceiling, floor, new UPVC bathroom window and to top it all off - a new central heating boiler (bye bye savings!! :facepalm::facepalm:).

At this point in time, I was a D.I.Y virgin (I struggled to hang a photo without making a right fist of it), so I just threw money at tradespeople until it was done :suicide::suicide:

Before & During:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

View The Full Gallery

2. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Project: Two's Company, Three's Groovy, Baby!

Last year, with my wallet still reeling from the bathroom-come-money-pit saga - I finally decided that I was going to start on the rest of the upstairs. This time, I was adamant that I was going to do as much of it as possible to save as much money as possible.

This part of the renovations called for the complete gutting of the main upstairs section of the house. The plan here was to split the front bedroom into two smaller rooms - bringing the bedroom count back up to 3 (with the extra bathroom).

Major tasks for this project included:
    • Pulling down all existing stud walls.
    • Erecting new stud partitions inline with the new layout.
    • Fitting new door cases/linings.
    • Relocation of existing lighting.
    • Adding an additional lighting circuit for the new bedroom.
    • Replacing the dangerous balustrade with something safer (I lifted the old one out with two fingers!).
    • Re-wiring the existing ring main to increase the number of sockets from 2 x Doubles (seriously!!) to 15 x Doubles.
    • Insulating all stud-work and party walls.
    • Correcting the wall/ceiling junctions to "square them up" (some joists had a variance of +/- 6cm across as little as 2 metres!).
    • Installing a smaller window to my man-cave/office to increase the wall real-estate for a desk nook. This also ticked off the need for a fire-escapable window on the middle floor.
    • Provisioning the two functional bedrooms to receive wall-mounted TVs.

Two Beds Are Better Than One
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was at this stage that I decided to tackle the future AV setups in the two front bedrooms. To guarantee that there wouldn't be any future issues, I mounted a pair of 4" x 2" lengths between the studs, with a double power socket beneath and a data point above - this was repeated on both sides of the stud wall to serve both bedrooms.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The end result:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Power Corrupts - Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely...
    Having lived in the house for a few years with only a single double power socket in each bedroom - it was time to tackle the situation and bring the house into the 21st century. The entire house had been rewired in 2004, with a new CCU and all the sockets & lights. After getting the nod from my sparky - it was full steam ahead with increasing the upstairs loop to a decent 15 double sockets. A large percentage of these will be low load, low consumption areas (bedside lamps, phone chargers etc.) and some will only get infrequent use (hairdryers in the bedrooms, vacuum cleaners on the landing etc.).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Laying The Foundations For The Data Super-Highway
    It was while thinking about provisioning for the two TVs in the front bedrooms that I started to think about the rubbish-at-best WiFi signal we suffer. Following this, I decided that I was going to take the opportunity to run data points into all of the rooms. So I ordered a 100m spool of Cat 6 and had at it while the stud-work was bare. This included:
    • 2 X Data Points - Master Bedroom (Behind TV).
    • 2 X Data Points - Spare Bedroom 1 (Behind TV).
    • 1 X Data Points - Spare Bedroom 1 (Skirting Height - Futureproofing purposes).
    • 2 X Data Points - Living Room (Coiled up under flooring, ready to be pulled through at a later date).

All of the cat 6 cables were run through the stud partitions, into the loft space and down into my man-cave-come-office and will be terminated to a standard 1U 24 port, 19" patch panel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This double socket (above) was swapped out for a single before the boards went up.
    [​IMG]
    (Yes - I know it's off slightly. Yes - it bugs the crap out of my OCD, but, it will be hidden behind the AV rack - so that's how it's staying :laugh:) The faceplate has since been finished off with some brush strips to tidy it up.

Top Tip: Invest in a label printer! I did at this point so I could avoid a whole lot of headaches later once the walls were boarded and tracing the cable become impossible. It worked! What a godsend, being able to find the right cable first time, every time :D
    [​IMG]

Running the cables into the loft may seem like going the long way round - but it means that when my man-cave is evicted and forced into the attic (read: when we have children!), all I need to do is pull the cables through into the attic and re-patch them :thumbsup: (and put a blanking plate over the cable outlet).

Once I had the structural wiring sorted, I started to think how cool would it be to have a completely clutter free AV installation in every room.

It was also really important to remove the current confines of our setup - previously, if I wanted to watch a film/tv series on my own or play on any of the game consoles (PS3 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One / Gamecube) - I had to do so in my office. If my better half wanted to play any of the others at the same time (or even use the PC) - it simply was not possible. Luckily we managed to avoid all-out marital war :rotfl::rotfl:

To restore harmony in the household, I came up with a plan as cunning as a fox what used to be Professor of Cunning at Oxford University but has moved on and is now working for the U.N. at the High Commission of International Cunning Planning.

It wasn't difficult to convince the missus that a centralised AV Rack with whole-house distribution was a good idea (even if she wasn't nearly as excited as I was).

Let There Be Light
    Having stumbled about in the dark loft space with nothing but a headtorch for company (for more hours than I care to recall), I decided that before I tackled the task of reconfiguring the upstairs lighting ring - some lighting in the loft was well overdue!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then came the task of moving the existing lights & switches, along with wiring in the new bedroom. I did want to put in some snazzy lighting controllers (Rako / LightwaveRF / Loxone etc.) - but there was so much choice that I was overwhelmed. The lighting circuit is easily accessible if I decide to go down that route at a later date.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Wonky Walls, Wonky Walls Everywhere...
    Because almost every single one of the party walls and front / rear walls of the house were out of plumb by a country mile (see below!), we decided to build stud walls in front of them. The benefits of this are three-fold:

• The walls are now perfectly plumb (and didn't cost a fortune in plasterers wages to fix!).
    • I could stuff insulation into the stud-work to help keep the heat in and help dampen sound.
    • I had somewhere sturdy to hand the new radiators (not that we use them often - it's too hot upstairs now!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Master Bedroom: A Face Like A Plasterers Radio
    Once the ceiling was battened and levelled to the satisfaction of my OCD - the door lining was fitted and plasterboards finished off.

I then got the plasterers in to skim the Master Bedroom whilst the other 2 rooms were being finished off. Needless to say - plasterers are the messiest tradespeople in the entire building industry!! It took me two evenings with a bloody scraper to get the chunks of plaster off the bloody floorboards.

Note to self: Leave the carpets down in the other bedrooms until AFTER the walls are skimmed!

When we planned out the room, we took a chunk of space from the middle bedroom so we could recess the wardrobes into the space, increasing the usable floor space in our bedroom (Super King Size Bed anyone?).

Annoyingly, when we put the wardrobes into their final resting place - despite the fact they fitted perfectly (I was getting good at this measuring lark by this point) - there was another problem. The bloody floor was bowed!!

To fix this, I built a platform/plinth for the wardrobes to sit on - which would lift them just above skirting board height!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whilst I had hoped to finish off the entirety of the upstairs before we moved out of the lounge-come-bedroom - I was convinced (on threat of castration in my sleep) to put the finishing touches on the master bedroom!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Fear not, eagle-eyed viewers - that blind was positioned centrally before it could trigger any more OCD-related episodes!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whilst I was at it, I finally fitted the QI charging plates we bought from IKEA ages ago. One in each bedside table. Just wish they did them in black!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The Box Room
    This room bores me, so I'll keep it brief. It's tiny, but at least now it's insulated, the walls are straight and the ceiling is level. Oh, and it's ready to take a wall-mounted TV and has more data points than a room of it's size ought to :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stairway To Heaven? Sadly ... Just A Cupboard!
    For the 4 years we had been living in the house - we'd never given the balustrade on the upstairs landing any thought. It wasn't pretty - but it always did what it was supposed to do, so we thought no more of it.

When I came to replace it, it turned out not to be fixed to the landing with anything more than the hopes and dreams of my dear Grandfather! I lifted it out in one piece, with just two fingers.

So, time for a replacement then! We couldn't find any balustrades that we liked - so I decided that a half-height wall would suit the final look much better.

It was at this time that my father pointed out how the space left on the landing (that we had earmarked for the future loft staircase) would make a useful cupboard.

Bastard! He was right...

Before:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because we still wanted to put a staircase into the loft in the future, I lined the cupboard with fire-rated plasterboard and fitted a thicked door lining and fire door.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Two Down, One To Go! (aka The Main Event)
    After the Master Bedroom and front box room were done and dusted, it was time to crack on with my office. This was the room I was REALLY excited about!

The window fitter came back to fit the new, smaller window. This would free up an extra 40cm or so of depth for a desk. An expensive 40cm, but well worth it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided at the very last minute, that I wanted to move the door into my office, which resulted in pulling down the last surviving original stud partition (and the only one that was straight and plumb!).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's another top tip - when sinking back boxes for light switches - remember that you still have to fit architrave!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Clearly, that week - I was on a roll! Managed to locate the hole for the cat 6 cables behind where the skirting was supposed to go! Good thing I was getting the hang of patching plasterboards!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before I could lay the carpet down, it dawned on me that the Co-Axial cables that used to feed the SKY+ box were still tucked up under a floorboard! No bother, I'll just pull up the glued-down underlay!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, carpet time!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click here to view the Gallery of a million photos

So folks. That brings us bang up to date in this little saga.

I promise to get on to the actual, juicy AV stuff very soon!

My AV project looks like this so far:
    • Build AV Rack / Server Cabinet to house all the various bits of kit (Work In Progress!)
    • Split the living/dining room into two separate rooms - the living room will get a modest Home Cinema makeover (starting soon).
    • Put the staircase in for the loft, so the conversion can begin and I can get my dedicated home cinema :clap:
    Thanks for looking!
    Nate

9. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Project: Monster Cab!!!

So last payday, I went a little nuts with my order from Penn-Elcom :rotfl:

• 8 X 24U Server Rack Rail
    • 4 X 3U 380mm Server Shelf (For games consoles / AV equipment)
    • 1 X 1U 180mm Server Shelf (For BT router & NAS drive)
    • 1 X 6-Way Power Distribution Block
    • 1 X 1U Cable Management Plate (With brushed front)
    • 2 X 1U Cable Management Plate (To go between Patch Panel & Switch)
    Then it was off to Selco for some materials. 3 x (2440mm x 1220mm x 18mm) sheets of MDF, all handily cut by their sawmill for pennies (less than a cup of coffee!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to see if my plan was going to work!

[​IMG]

Shiny new tools - this is the first woodwork I've ever done - so picking it up as I go along. I know lots of people say there's no benefit to using dowels with MDF - but as this is my first project - I wanted to be able to "dry assemble" it at my own speed to be sure I wasn't making a fist of it!

[​IMG]

Introducing the server rails - this will provide a whopping 42U of rack space, more than enough for any and all my crazy future plans!!

[​IMG]

Awww! My very first dowel joint :D

[​IMG]

Looking cool!

[​IMG]

Back and Top dowelled up and test fitted :)

[​IMG]

As I had a few spare plinth-sized off-cuts, I decided to use one to brace the bottom - just for pure overkill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gluing up the first side. Exciting times!!!

[​IMG]

Bottom & Plinth sections glued at the same time.

[​IMG]

Decided to think about the central divider at this point, along with what cable routing options I was going to go for.

[​IMG]

Centre section glued (on the one side).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to get the rails test mounted later, ready for a coat (or seven) of MDF Primer and whatever top coat I decide to go with.

Thinking of black for the inside and eggshell white on the outside to match all the other woodwork upstairs.

The door will be a shaker-style frame (using the same PAR Redwood as the landing balustrade), with an inset of a thin wire-mesh grille to aid ventilation.

Nate

10. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    More goodies for the Monster Cab:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  11. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I had hoped that the Fan Grilles would allow the fans to be recessed into the side of the cabinet. Sadly, these are not of that type :facepalm:

So they're being sent back, with some AC Infinity grilles on order in their stead. With these being white - I won't have to paint them to match the outside of the cab :thumbsup::thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Need to get my backside into gear as we have the nice man from Sky coming on Saturday to install their shiny new Sky Q 2TB box and Sky Q Mini box!! No pressue :rotfl:

12. ben16v

ben16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    good work! watched!!

13. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,183
    Looking good, I guess you've been saving up the pictures as that's a lot of work for one day. :D
    TIP: Have a read back of this thread in a year or two's time it'll remind you of the mess and hard work you did (I just did the same with an old build thread I did 9 years ago :eek:).

14. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Haha, yes - about 10 months and over a thousand hours worth of photos

Taken me nearly a week to sift through the several hundred photos and decide which ones to use in the thread!

But I decided to post it here for that exact reason!

Nate

15. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    Great write up. Looking forward to more!

16. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks! Just been looking at your build thread - which isn't helping with my desire to sling a projector in the living room :rotfl: Alas, I will have to slum it with the 55" 4K LG we've just bought for that part of the build and wait until I get my loft converted :(

17. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,643
    You need to stop right now before the OH hears of my all of a sudden plans for a sever rack in the kitchen :p

Liking what you've done so far and keep the good work

18. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Your secret is safe here :D

In fact - my first idea was to use a tall IKEA kitchen cabinet for the AV Rack - but I couldn't find any that were close enough to the dimensions I needed - so I built this beast.

19. BillyHunt

BillyHunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Great thread......keep it coming and good luck with the project:smashin:

20. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Bit more slow progress made to the AV rack last night (though most of the evening was spent discussing the impending living room build with the other half!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Nothing exciting to report from last night - just more priming of MDF (God I hate painting - BORING!!!).

Though I have just bought a DENON AVR-X3400H and ONKYO SKS-HT588 - 5.1.2 ATMOS Speaker Set from Audible Fidelity to go in the living room (well, the receiver will be housed in the monster cab upstairs).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really - it's more than I had budgeted for that space - but for the extra spend I got an AVR that does both multi-zone Audio and Video - so I can take the £300 HDMI Matrix off my to-buy list, along with the separate Pioneer MX3/5 that would've had to go in the dining room/kitchen/bedrooms.

Because it's pre-out, I have the option of using a multi-zone, multi-channel stereo amp to send the zone 2 audio (which will be the Spotify/Amazon music 99.9% of the time) into a choice of rooms (or all rooms at the same time).

I think I might be having nightmares about speaker cables very soon :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

22. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Made a little more progress over the weekend on the AV front.

On Saturday, the nice man from Sky came and fitted a shiny new dish and wired up two very sleek looking Sky Q boxes (a 2TB main and a Mini for the multiroom).

Also managed to get the Monster Cab in situ with a few more data points temporarily patched out (for the master bedroom) so I could test out the Neet HDBaseT baluns. We can now send the Sky Q and any other source through to the 42" LG in our bedroom :D

To be fair to the Sky bloke - he had to place the equipment near a screen - so we set up an old BEKO 32" in the office on an old TV stand for this purpose. As soon as the front door closed behind him, I moved it all into the AV rack and set up the HDMI Switch and Neet baluns (which have a handy HDMI loop-out, so we can watch the same source in both rooms).

[​IMG]
    The power strip won't be staying there - at some point I'll fit the rear rails and move it there, along with the shallow shelf for the router. The switch and patch panel will live there as well. I've just ordered 2 more of these strips as they are so useful!

[​IMG]

Excuse the mess :rotfl: - but needs must until I can get some spare time to pretty it up.
    [​IMG]

Sky Q pumped into the bedroom :D
    [​IMG]

Nate

23. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,643
    Coming along nicely

24. pr1vatepiles

pr1vatepiles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Stunning work. Looks like we both have the same bed. Oh the joys of those stupids slats. Well done on your work :D.

25. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Don't mention those bloody slats!

This is the second bed we've had in that range - the first was a double and this one is a super king - the second time round the missus wanted to help, so I was more than willing to let her crack on

26. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    very impressive work, just one tiny OCD part of me, thinks that large rack unit, has an hour glass look to it, not perfectly square if you get my drift, wider at the top and the bottom than in the middle, or is it just an illusion of the pictures?

27. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I think it's just the pictures as its hard to get a photo of an 8ft cab in a 10ft long room.

All the panels were cut at the same time so they're all identical in width & height.

BRB - Off to measure the cab to appease my OCD!

28. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Phew!!

[​IMG]

Nate

29. oliver0331

oliver0331

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Awesome work mate! just spent a good hour reading through your hard work! Quite inspiring. A quick question, with HD baluns how have you wired that setup?

30. nrees87

nrees87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Cheers mate, appreciate it :)

At the minute one of the Neet baluns are simply connected at the cab to the output of the AV receiver and power. From there it's directly into the patch panel and through the cat 6 into the bedroom. In the bedroom there's a standard data point and a short patch lead into the receiver and then HDMI into the TV.

It works "ok" for now - but it's not fantastic. For the Sky Q - which is set to 1080i - it works fine, if a bit tinny on the audio. For 1080p sources like the Xbox One - the picture is stable but pops and goes black every few minutes. When I get chance I'm going to cut out the patch panel and data point and just put rj45 ends on the cable to avoid any losses.

Given the current state of this tech, I'll be running a few HDMI 2.0 cables to the living and dining rooms as well as the cat 6 just in case!