1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

operating system not found!?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bunyboy, Nov 6, 2003.

1. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    my girlfriend has just called me from work really upset coz her (compaq XP less than a year old) laptop has, when she returned from lunch, announced "operating system not found" and she cant get it to do anything else!

turning it off and on again didnt work..
    and she's freakin out coz she thinks she might lose all her work.. (i think that might be the case too)

im a MAC man (and not exactly a computer whizz) myself so dont really know how to fix it or why it might have done that?
    can anyone give me tips on whats wrong with it and how i might be able to tell her how to fix it over the phone or fix it myself when she gets back (and look like im clever and wonderful)...

any help PLEASE!
    thank you!

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Could be a couple of things. Most obvious one is that there is a floppy disc in the drive and the PC is trying to boot from that. If so, just take the disc out and the machine should boot normally.

After that you're into the corrupt OS or hard drive territory. Neither of which are particularly easy fix remotely. Best bet would be to give it to her IT bods and let them sort it out.

3. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i asked her if there was a floppy in the a drive (no such luck)
    she doesnt have IT bods.. she works freelance hence the laptop..

4. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i just hope she doesnt lose all her work.. i cant understand why it would be fine before lunch then come back and it has that message...

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it were a PC I'd say take the hard drive out, set it to slave and plug it into a working PC to get the files you need from it, having never used a laptop I don't know if this is possible as they are built in. Have you tried the "R" option with the OS CDROM in the drive during bootup?

6. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    You can do it, but you will need a special cable to hook the laptop drive upto a PCs IDE slot.

7. stormchaser

stormchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi
    if she has partition magic or can borrow it,on another pc make the two rescue floppy diskettes to check the hard drive on the compaq laptop,this can check to see if the hard drive is ok etc etc