1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Operating system for HCPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by RichardH, Jul 29, 2002.

1. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I realise that XP will probably give me best stability, but are there any other reasons for using W2k/XP? I ask because I have an old TV capture card, for which there are no drivers for these OSs. Do you miss out on any functionality of other hardware/software?

System will be AthlonXP 1.6/SiS chipset MB/Radeon VE/Delta 410. Intending to use PowerDVD XP at the moment, but will experiment with Win DVD perhaps. Delta 410 to be used as preamp, too.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think the only reason for the pro. operating systems is stability. Otherwise they just get in the way of multimedia stuff. Games are problematic, drivers, well you already know. Just avoid M.E. it's the least stable of all. 98SE is good, XP home is better provided the drivers are available for your hardware. My HCPC runs 98SE and has few problems, stable, compatible system. Hardware is also the big issue here, I went the intel, microsoft, creative route, on the basis that these guys must work together, of course there are performance trade offs there, espec. sound, but my wife has to be able to make it work, and she has no patience with sulking technology!

3. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was thinking of 98SE. Can always dual boot it later with W2k/XP if I fancy. In the meantime, it will be install OS > perform Ghost > install soundcard > Perform Ghost > Update Drivers > Perform Ghost ... etc - you get the idea!

I had a feeling that certain software (? the MAudio/Delta 410 stuff ?) needed XP for some whizzy feature - may well be wrong....

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Couldn't help you there, but the more features you have, the less time you spend watching movies...

5. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :D
    Since when was this about watching movies? I thought it was just about tinkering!
    :D

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Point taken, I love the tinkering, but the other occupants of our home cinema prefer to watch!

7. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You might still be able to get a preview of WindowsXP from Microsoft (www.microsoft.com/uk/preview) so you could try out drivers etc.
    XP is a much better OS than 98 and provides more support than 2k, so if you can get it you'll enjoy your system more.
    Don't forget to get an OEM copy, only £80 for home and £125 for pro.
    I also believe within that licence you are allowed to install a "downgrade" product (win 95/98/me/2k) on the same system so by buying XP you can still dual boot (LEGALLY!!!) if you need to.

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OEM versions of XP are for use on only 1 PC.

Retail versions are only for 1 PC also, but can be moved to a different machine when the need arises (even a mainboard upgrade/replacement).

So theoretically, an OEM copy stays with (what was intended to be) the originally manufactured PC.

Don't forget you've got to activate XP, either by phone or on-line, & I've heard several with problems reactivating OEM versions.

Personally, I haven't, but something to be aware of.

BTW, XP is the best, followed by 98SE.

Dual boot 98SE & XP ideal, but no NTFS partitions :D

9. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that, Kramer - hadn't realised the "non-mobility" of the OEM version.
    By this do you mean that you've had no problem with reactivating OEM XP?

Presumeably no NTFS because of the inability to access them in anything but NT/2000/XP - or is there another reason?

10. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is nothing to worry about where activation is concerned unless you are using software illegally. Microsoft is very lenient on the activation side of things, on the few rare cases I've heard of activation not being automatic over the Internet a quick phone call to MS resolved it. Remember the fact that you are activating it means you've bought it, or if its someone else's copy your borrowing it will be picked up.

The OEM is meant to stay with one system, but you can upgrade that system, as long as you don't change too much in one go, the key is hashed from several pieces of hardware. I installed an OEM copy then installed a new graphics card, new hard drive, new network card and have since added some more ram. The activation was obviously needed when I changed the hard drive but nothing else required anything doing.

I suppose it depends how long you plan to keep this version of windows. If your going to want to use it on the next few PC's too then retail may be the way to go, but that costs double the price. I'd rather buy OEM xp now then on my next build by OEM Longhorm/blackcomb (or whatever comes out around that time). It costs the same and I'll have had two OS's and be able to sell XP with this machine.

NTFS is a better (more efficient) file system but indeed can't be read by 9x based OS's or other *nix. There's no other reason not to use it AFAIK.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    All this is so, but make sure we're talking about XP home, any pro software has little multimedia compatibility, it's built for workplace use, that's why that nice Mr. Gates makes 2 versions. This is particularly true if you plan any projected games via PC. Many do not work properly or at all with the NT/2000/XPpro family.

12. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    XP pro and home are almost identical. The only differences are pro has IIS and other server software, supports multi processors, allows more options for (remote) networking and has more security.
    If you can run it on home you can run it on pro.
    NT4 is very incompatable, it was meant purely for a office environment.
    2k is fairly compatable, you may have some problems with some games but the majority of problems have now been solved. I've spoken to loads of people who game on 2k. Initial problems were because companies didn't want to support multimedia on a business os, when more home users began to use it then MS said its future home os's would be built on the NT kernel they had no choice but to write drivers, and with the WHQL they had to at least be fairly stable, if not feature rich.
    XP is better than 2k as it has compatability mode, so the small amount of stuff that wouldn't run on 2k has more of a chance of being run in XP. There was one fairly old prog I had which 2k couldn't run well, XP runs it fine in Windows95 Compat mode.

This was why I said you should give XP a try, its free for 6months, I've checked it and it is still listed.

13. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I may well give it a go - I have XP on my laptop, and it seems OK to use.
    I actually have an unused OEM XP home disk to hand (which is actually waiting to go on to a different machine), but maybe I'll use Bill's offer of the trial first to see if I can run the old capture/tuner card under XP on this box - it definitely doesn't run under W2k.

14. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct, reactivated by phone a couple of times, once by phone with no problems what so ever.

Correct again.

Nope.

I have heard of a few people now who have been "grilled" by MS staff when trying to reactivate OEM Win XP.

As soon as the generated key was given, they were told that it was an OEM copy, & could not be used outside the OEM machine.

Regarding comments earlier about how all copies of XP have been paid for originally, this is not true. Pirated copies are readily available.

OEM versions fetch far less for MS, hence their "new" security registration.

It would be pointless if they do not enforce this policy.

Everyone would phone up if it were that simple to circumvent the security.

I'd still buy OEM, but it is something to be aware of if you will be upgrading components/crashing your system regurlarly :D

15. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Similar discussion on AVSForum.

Personally, I would choose WinXP Pro.

16. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

17. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

18. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Most pirate copies are corporate versions which don't need activating.
    What I meant by that was if your activating it your not going to have stolen it (unless your really stupid you don't activate a stolen copy!), and if you have you will be caught out by the huge differences in hardware, and the amount of times your activating it.

You really shouldn't have any problems unless you're doing something you shouldn't be.

19. fatalfury2a

fatalfury2a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to http://www.tv-cards.com and install the generic drivers (for BT8x8 cards), they are better than the original ones.