Operating Sky HD and Sky+ with Magic eyes.......

sidicks

Banned
Am currently having problems controlling my Sky+ and Sky HD box from the bedroom using the Magic eyes (both boxes are stored together in the lounge, and the signals combined and set to the distribution amplifier).

Currently when I try and change channels on Sky+, this is also affecting the channel being watched on Sky HD and vice versa - it's driving my wife and I mad!

Can anyone advise what we are doing wrong?

Thanks

Sidicks

Alasdair Mackay

Standard Member
Do not waste your time Sky have changed the ifrared signal or something like that you will not pick up hd using a remote see my previous post on the subject.

sidicks

Banned
Robin-Hood said:
Do not waste your time Sky have changed the ifrared signal or something like that you will not pick up hd using a remote see my previous post on the subject.
I don't understand your post - I can control the Sky HD box from the other room (via the Magic eye) using a standard Sky+ controller. However, the problem is this also controls the Sky+ box at the same time!

Sidicks

dar2005

Novice Member
Hi there,

You are correct, the Sky+ remote control signal will be received and actioned by both the Sky+ and SkyHD boxes, but not the other way around - weird.

There is no easy solution, and you are not doing anything incorrectly.

I am just in the process of setting up a Harmony 895 remote control. This will use the magic eye for the Sky+ box, and an RF receiver/converter for the SkyHD box, thus keeping the controls seperate.

kevmarshall

Novice Member
Couldn't you just buy an extra SkyHD remote as I understand that Sky+ will not respond to it ?.................even though SkyHD will repond to Sky+

sidicks

Banned
kevmarshall said:
Couldn't you just buy an extra SkyHD remote as I understand that Sky+ will not respond to it ?.................even though SkyHD will repond to Sky+
That still leaves me with the problem of not being able to use the Sky+ remote to change Sky+ without also changing Sky HD.

Also, the signal is piped to 6 places around the house, so I'd need 6 remotes which would be expensive !!

sidicks

wellfan

If you replace the existing combiner with this:
https://www.letsautomate.com/12438.cfm?
your problems will be solved !!!

Has worked successfully for me..........

Sidicks
Worked for me also. However, it was not compatible with my distribution amplifier and had to buy the T140 as sold here. http://www.letsautomate.com/11097.cfm?
I can now change channels on either box from my bedroom and kitchen.
PS. Also works with 2 HD boxes. I have since exchanged the Sky plus box for another HD box and sysytem works flawlessly with 2 HD boxes. I can send images of my setup if you think it might help. I initially found it difficult to visualise the concept of using this combiner.

kryten

I assume this method doesn't solve the problem of controlling the Sky+ ONLY box from the same room that both it and the SkyHD are in?

I have a pronto and a screen saying 'now go and press the buttons on the front of the sky+ box' isn't exactly popular (but necessary to avoid issues with deleting programs on the SkyHD box whilst controlling Sky+)

uk1

Novice Member
Has the challenge of operating Sk+ and HD in the same room and rack been resolved - or is it still true that the HD remote just controls HD but the Sk+ RC will control both?

If it's still a problem are there any known work arounds please?

Thanks.