OpenXR now supported by the rift

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chris A Taylor on Twitter

I have posted the following trying to find out more info

"hmmmm so is this so that users can run openXR titles or does it mean that developers can build in openXR support into their titles going on the oculus store.? (the latter of course would be massive news for owners of other headsets and would mean the end of the walled garden arguments)"

according to 1 poster that means now that both the rift and WindowsMR headsets officially support openXR, but apparently steamVR headsets dont.....

Chris A Taylor on Twitter

I have posted the following trying to find out more info

"hmmmm so is this so that users can run openXR titles or does it mean that developers can build in openXR support into their titles going on the oculus store.? (the latter of course would be massive news for owners of other headsets and would mean the end of the walled garden arguments)"

according to 1 poster that means now that both the rift and WindowsMR headsets officially support openXR, but apparently steamVR headsets dont.....

Steam headsets not supported? Why am I not surprised. What’s the point in Open XR if it’s not open? At least Oculus are supporting that Lenovo headset, lol.

Steam headsets not supported? Why am I not surprised. What’s the point in Open XR if it’s not open? At least Oculus are supporting that Lenovo headset, lol.
IF the comment is correct (I have not checked) I think you need to take a step back and rethink.

it is on Valve to build in support of open XR NOT the other way around. Oculus have build openXR support into their newest driver, MS (were the 1st) to build openXR support into theirs.
the point of openXR is that when i buy a game on steam i wont need to worry if it is a steamVR title or a native oculus supported title, so long as it supports OpenXR I will be golden.

For me the question is however is this oculus headset support for openXR or is it the option for developers to support openXR on oculus store games. (oculus headset support of openXR is nice to have.... but store support of openXR could be game changing for VR HMD users and will mean that I will be done buying any VR games from steam unless in a fire sale or store exclusives.***

**** This is making the assumption that valve WILL support openXR on their headsets... I think they will, but at that point IF they dont, well that will make valves stance on truly open headsets able to run software from other stores natively absolutely clear.

Last edited:
Valves not going to be the problem here they already support all headsets.

But you would think there would be some coherence between the OpenXR team and individual vendors.

So is it possible for a Samsung Odyssey to access Oculus Home now?

Right now... no but the open XR announcement was only recently made ... whether or not existing games will be patched to be openXR, OR if it will be an option for developers to support on oculus store titles but not forced, OR if indeed this is purely for support of openXR on the headset but NOT on the store front remains to be seen ..... This could be a game changer......... or it could be nothing really..... I hope all will come clear over the next few months ( OC6 on 25th/26th........ maybe something there????)

as for Valve not being the problem... again i am not sure if you are really getting it.... I think the interest of Open XR will be regarding whether or not it will mean SteamVR headsets can access other stores officially.

We already know valve are more than happy to take money from any head set owner.... but will they be just as happy to allow owners of their headset to buy from other platforms (ie the oculus store and the windows store) IF oculus were to announce they were open to the idea via OpenXR

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom