openSUSE / Plex / Hauppauge HVR-2200 questions...

LeeJenson

Novice Member
Hi,

I have been working to repurpose some old hardware. So, I have plugged in an old TV card I had - Hauppauge HVR-2200, installed openSUSE 15.2 and Plex.

The installation seems to have installed the TV card driver, as it says "Driver Active - Yes". Plex cannot see the card though when I ask it to search.

I have also found this note :-

"this method (as of 2012/03/02) will only give NTSC for analog TV, the driver does not have PAL support"

I am in the UK, and my questions are :-

1. Does this mean that this card cannot pickup digital UK/PAL on Linux ?

2. Is relying on the openSUSE installation missing TV card driver installation steps?

3. Can anyone recommend a dual digital tuner (PAL TV) card that supports openSUSE & Plex? (as my backup)

Thank

Lee

next010

Distinguished Member
That could be referring to analogue TV not DVB (digital video), at least one person here on TVheadend forum says DVB works with that card running under Ubuntu.

UK uses PAL DVB-T and DVB-T2 for broadcast TV.

For recommended hardware I'd ask on Plex forums first and foremost, as alternatives check the TVheadend forum thread or look at LinuxTV database on DVB-T2 cards.

TVheadend it appears is not supported by Plex, (it works with Kodi and others) there were plugins for Plex but they seems to have been abandoned. However a search did turn up this which makes TVheadend emulate a HDHomerun device which Plex does support.

I'd give that a try and see if it can breath life into that setup.

LeeJenson

Novice Member
Thanks next010,

That's encouraging about this card working on Ubuntu. I do have the option to change to Ubuntu, but this will be a backup option.

That's also interesting about the emulator too.

I'll check all these things out, including the Linux TV database, and update this thread later.

Lee :)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom