1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opening New Cafe - Coaxial/VGA switch?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by willstein, Sep 17, 2005.

1. willstein

willstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there, my friend is opening a cafe soon, and I am his local tech guy so he asked me to research some cabling question. From google, I found you guys, it's nice to be here. :hiya:

The cafe is going to have some kind of large display on one of their walls, that will run a simple advertisement movie from a computer.
    At times, the owner might like to switch the monitor from the computer, to his dish network.

What's the most efficient way to run both coaxial and VGA to one display?

Is there some kind of Coaxial/VGA switch?

Thank you so much for your help. I look forward to hearing your answers.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Welcome to the forums. :hiya:

If the big display is anything other than a computer monitor then it should have multiple inputs anyway just like a conventional TV. Then you can just use the display remote to switch between them. :)

3. willstein

willstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do most TV's have a slot for computer input?

Or shoud I look for something specific?

4. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If the display is only VGA compatable, then you can get scan converter/tuner boxes. I have one at home for my bedroom flat screen tv, which is an 18" IBM computer flat screen.

The box will switch from Svideo/Composite/VGA input, to Svideo/composite& VGA output.

If it is VGA only (large 21" computer TFT for example), then at one switch, the screen can be looking at composite/Svideo from the sat box.

The unit I have cost about £80 last year.

This unit is more expensive, but is an example...

http://www.mediaatlantic.com/product.php/868/1506//d50533dfa7200ec8e88b68b970dbd5be

Regards,

Gareth.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Willstein

You can achieve what your planning in any number of ways.

01. You can have an LCD or Plasma Display and use an external Switcher/Scan converter to swap between a PC or Video signal - along the lines of what Gareth suggests.

02. You can have an LCD or PlasmaTV that has In-Built TV tuner plus Video and PC Inputs - watch out for the units that have the PC Input on the front of the TV; they don't look too pretty with a VGA cable permanently sticking out of them.

03. Combine an LCD or PlasmaTV with an external 'Genlock' - the Genlock lets you 'overlay' PC Graphics onto an Incoming Video signal (your Dish box); that way you can have your own 'scroll bar' running on top of say CNN.

04. It may also be possible to do the Genlock on an internal card in your PC - not looked for a while to see if these have gotten affordable or not.

Options 03 and 04 mean yon can always have the Cafe's marketing messages on screen no matter what TV content your watching - if you do it with decent 'signage' software you can give the Cafe 'hotkeys' that will 'push' relevant messages at certain times of the day.

Best regards

Joe