1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Water

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Tardis, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Open Water £7.50 from DVDsoon. :thumbsup:

2. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having seen this film i dont think its worth £2.50p its about the worst film ive seen this year

3. TheDot

TheDot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    only surpassed (in crap-ness) by blade 3 IMO

4. Passenger57

Passenger57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Agreed... I got free tix to go see Open Water and I still feel ripped off and want my money back!!! :D

5. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    yeah, have been thinking of pre-ordering this for a while now, but wanted to find out if it's a decent release first.

Saw is also the same price, but the rumours are that the R1 version will have 3 minutes of cuts :mad:

6. Jungle Ted

Jungle Ted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree. I was shocked at just how bad it is.

7. brian mc

brian mc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I believe we can have very different views about films but I think that you are doing this small film an injustice. This little film done what it set out to do - to make a very detached, cold and surprisingly downbeat story about the heartlessnes of mother nature. No dramatic music score or special mechanical fish and done in less than 90 minutes. The scenes at night in the darkness and all they could feel in the blackness was something touching their legs made my skin crawl. Are we getting too sophisticated for small scale/budgeted films. I liked this film because it felt fresh and without the usual American cliches and was certainly head and shoulders above many of the over hyped over budgeted dross that we are normally are fed via Hollywood. :lesson:

8. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Spoiler alert

I also thought this film crap. How on earthe could it be a true story when they both died. Dead men tell no tales. I was also shocked wjhen they all died in the perfect storm as well. The two divers might have drowned within five minutes of the dive. The boat on the perfect storm might have sunk after the first wave. Who on earth knows. They all died and dead men tell no tales

9. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i think both films stated "based on a true story" as did Texas chainsaw massacre, and i would state my life on the fact that that NEVER HAPPENED! i think "based on" is a license to use a factual subject but change it anyway you like. in the same respect, Saving Private Ryan could have been "based on" a true story cos SHOCK HORROR the second world war actually happened! But it's the difference between needing to buy viewers or knowing you're just going to get viewers. Open water, i enjoyed but it would have had 10% of the viewers it had if you didnt really think it was a true story, whereas anyone who hasn't watched saving private ryan deserves a slap ;)

10. brian mc

brian mc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In an interview the director said that the real couple it was based on actually survived they decided to make the ending darker. Apparantly the real couple were accused of trying to pretend that they died at sea but were found some months later alive and well. Bizarre..... One of the best films about war is Salvador.
    P.S...I slapped myself marc... as i'm a bit tired of Tom Hanks right now and Americans always winning wars, Might buy it soon though as it's going cheap in the sales :thumbsup:

11. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    hehe, buy it i dare you! If you get past the americanism, you will see a truly superb movie. From the cinematics, to the sound to the theatrics, it is a great movie.

And, it actually makes the US out to be complete idiots if you read between the lines, as they sent one of their best platoons on a practically impossible mission for the sake of one man's life. They try and make out it's about compassion, but to be honest, compassion has no place in war, and if the American's were really that cavalier, we're lucky not to be sporting little moustaches and shouting Heil Hitler ever 5 minutes.

12. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

SPOILER ALERT ending about to be revealed

I thought the true story thing at start was a way of fooling you into thinking one or both survived, i thought that was pretty clever and I guess that was the surprise ending to film.
    I really enjoyed the film and amazing it took them 2 1/2 years of filming at the WE !
    Sound was excellent, a very tight 89 mins(or whatever).
    Acting was very good, they really seemd like a married couple.
    How many times I'd watch it, who knows, thats why its up FT/FS on another thread.
    Extras were informative and short, so at least I watched them.
    I jumped several times during film, something that rarely happens these days.

John