open source Digital Signage software

mcdermott_c

Novice Member
Hi

not sure if this is the correct area or not but thought i'd post it in the linux section in hope for an open source solution.

I was wondering if people could recommend any good open source digital signage software. A local charity would like to place an LCD screen in their window and have information displayed about what is going on the area. Being a charity a "free" solution would be the preferred option.

Is there such a thing as open source or free digital signage software and if so can anyone recommend a few for me to take a look at

thanks

NikosF

Novice Member
Why not just use OpenOffice. Set up a 'PowerPoint-type' presentation, set it on repeat/loop; full-screen and you're done. Included in most Linux distributions. They can have text, graphics, etc on the slides.

If you need something more sophisticated that incorporates real-time news feeds or something, then best look elsewhere - but for a simple LCD screen sign - I'd stick with something simple like OpenOffice.

mcdermott_c

Novice Member
Why not just use OpenOffice. Set up a 'PowerPoint-type' presentation, set it on repeat/loop; full-screen and you're done. Included in most Linux distributions. They can have text, graphics, etc on the slides.

If you need something more sophisticated that incorporates real-time news feeds or something, then best look elsewhere - but for a simple LCD screen sign - I'd stick with something simple like OpenOffice.
thanks i had thought of something simple like that. I just thought there was bound to a linux distro for this but maybe not

thanks again for the advice

chris

Codehead

Distinguished Member
I'd go for the Open Office Powerpoint too.

If you do want news feeds and 'live' content, you could knock up a web page with RSS, etc and run Firefox in full screen mode?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom