Open range... French version, WOW

silouette

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just heard the French version of Open Range against the German edition,and literally blows it away.
The gunshot dynamics in the last shootout are incredible and far superior to to the German version.
Although interestingly I felt the colour balsnce on the German version was much more natural.

Oh yeah the French version is only 6.0 Mbps while the German one is DTS master 24.5 Mbps.
( Thanks to James for enlightening me on this one))

I have the German version - looks and sounds great! I saw screen grabs of the French version and I didn't like how it looked!!

Well I agree on PQ the German one wins, but in a direct comparison of SQ those French gunshots just have such dynamics it leaves the other one lying in the dust or is it mud.
Would never have known if a friend had not loaned me his copy.

ps which JVC is that on your avatar ?
Hi - that's the HD350.....still going strong!

I remember the DVD of Open Range, and thought the soundtrack was amazing back then!! I recorded a HD version of the film from BBC HD a few years back that also looked good. It was shown in 16x9 but the framing was different, ie it wasn't just a zoomed up version of the 2:35:1 ratio, so you could see stuff that wasn't in the original theatrical ratio! Great film BTW!!

Thought I recognised the HD 350, I have one too, and have only just had it professionally calibrated.
Gosh now that's what I call a worthwhile upgrade.
Reckon they are a brilliant machine, don't you just love the electric lens cap.
You have to pay mega bucks to get one of those on the new JVC's

Never had mine pro calibrated! There's about 1200 hours on the bulb now, probably not worth it?

Must Admit, I don't know how many hours mine has done, put the manual somewhere safe and now can't find it,so don't know how to tell, but I'm guessing around 800.
But really it's amazing how much more saturation and depth of colour can be achieved ,indeed offering that almost 3D quality that I think is more involving than real 3D which I find more distracting giving a feeling of unreality rather than involvement.
One other item I use is a ISOL 8 mains conditioner ,again a worthwhile if small improvement, honest they do work.
I'm not generally a Wires and witchcraft guy but your eyes will tell you.
Also I reckon these 350's are keepers and a new bulb is all you need.

Had a look online but still could not find how to see how many hours, is there a way ?

PQ , AQ don't matter to me on some films, this could have Vasaline smeared on the screen whilst I was wearing ear muffs and I'd enjoy it just the same. It's just so well done.

Had a look online but still could not find how to see how many hours, is there a way ?
Should be easy via the onscreen menu. If you bring up the menu with the remote then scroll to the info tab (I think, not at home at the moment) it should be listed under there!

I've got the German version and the PQ is pretty impressive and the sound is excellent, it is one of my favourite films. Just how many shots does Costner get away with from just a six shooter. That's impressive as well.:D

Aye, the German version's a lovely disc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom