Open plan sub advice

danbl

I'm looking for advice for a new sub for our open plan living area. We have a dedicated HT room that is nice and small so easy to fill with sound, but we end up watching 90% of TV and movies in the open plan area.

We currently have Monitor Apex A10 L/R, A40 centre and C265X in-ceiling for rears. I've had an old Boston Soundware sub plugged in just to plug the gap, but it sounds terrible and now finally have the money to replace. I know its never going to be perfect, I just want to get the bass to a level where I don't feel like we're missing out on huge parts of audio tracks and would also hate to spend a chunk of money and feel like it was wasted and hadn't improved things.

See below for layout image. There are lots of mistakes/changes and unnecessary markings so don't worry too much about anything other than overall shape & sofa / sub placement :) The blue shaded area has a ceiling height of about 2.5m, but the unshaded area has a sloped ceiling. approx 4m at the highest point where it joins the shaded area.

All of our listening is done from the sofa, approx. 3.5m from the TV and under the lower ceiling. The sub will need to go where the red box is, to the left of the TV. Size isn't too much of an issue as its out of the way.

Plan.png

Roughly calculating the volume of the entire area its comes in around 6000 cu ft or 180 cu m. However the listening area is only around 1200 cu ft or 35 cu m. Using the guides on here I'd be bankrupt if I sized a sub for the former, but I'm wondering if we are safe to work off the listening area volume as it's a lower ceiling height which will hopefully contain some of the sound, and we'll hopefully get some gain by placing it in the corner.

I really don't want to spend more than £1,000, so looking for advice as to what I can get in that range and/or whether its a waste of time trying to get any decent sound for that amount. If I can get something in gloss black to match the Apex it would be a big bonus - I was thinking something like a SVS SB-1000 Pro (or 2000 at a stretch), or a Monolith Plus.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

In a room your size 6000 cu ft you will have difficulty in getting meaningful bass but if you have up to £1k I would look at getting 2 subs and stand a better chance of success.

These are pretty powerful with 500w amps with 1kw peak and two would cost £1k, they are ported and are a bit bigger than the Monolith plus but will give off more bass.

What avr are you using to drive your speakers and does it have 2 sub outputs.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

See how much sub you need for your size room, it only goes up to 5000 cu ft but the Monoprice Monolith 10" THX at it's price is unbeatable it's number 29 on the list and the SB1000 sit's at 59.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Could you not place the subs underneath the front L & R speakers at the front. You would get maximum boundary gain in that position due to being placed in a corner position.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Maybe I have misread your drawing I was thinking the small red boxes were where you had your speakers.

What is that round circle in the top left can it be moved. The small red box top right in the shaded blue area is it not possible to place a second sub there in addition to where you show the large red box (first subwoofer).

danbl

Maybe I have misread your drawing I was thinking the small red boxes were where you had your speakers.

What is that round circle in the top left can it be moved. The small red box top right in the shaded blue area is it not possible to place a second sub there in addition to where you show the large red box (first subwoofer).
Being honest, I have no idea what all the markings are any more! It’s a drawing my wife did for the electricians during a rewire, and it didn’t make much sense at the time!

Where the circle is to the right of the TV cabinet there is a floor standing lamp. If it were up to me that would be in the skip and replaced by a sub, but as we all know it’s not that simple! It is an option, but blows budget out the window as recompense will be needed…

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
No way a single sealed sub midrange sub would be enough for that. You're looking at high end sealed or midrange ported.

Yeah I'd say dual 10" ported minimim. Though I'd push for dual 12" ported

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom