Open NAT Type with sky router.

loz488

Standard Member
I am just posting this as it has helped me get an open NAT type and has really improved my online experience alot.

Please note that the steps in this guide are how I have set my Xbox 360 and my router up (wired) as like many others I had a problem with UPnP. There are, however, other ways to get an open NAT status but this method has and still is working for me.

This guide also assumes that you have not changed any of the ip address settings within the console itself and have everything set to automatic.

1. Get your Xbox 360's mac address.
a. go to system settings
b. go to network settings
c. go to configure settings
d. go to additional settings
e. go to advanced settings
f. write down the mac address for your Xbox
g. leave your Xbox on

2. The router – add XBOX 360 to the reservation table
a. log into your router http://192.168.0.1 (default setting)
b. On the left hand side click LAN IP Setup.
c. Under address reservation click add
d. Under address reservation table find your Xbox 360's mac address and click the radio button to the left of it. This will automatically enter the information into the boxes below the reservation table.
e. For the ip address change the last few digits to 101. i.e. 192.168.0.101 (this will be you ip address for your Xbox.
f. Rename the device name to Xbox 360.
g. Click add.

3. the router – port forwarding the require ports part 1

Xbox live requires 5 ports to be open. UDP 53, TCP 53, UDP 88, UDP 3074 & TCP 3074
a. On the left hand side click services.
b. Click add custom service.
c. Under service definition you need to fill the boxes in as follows:
Name: XBL1
Type: UDP
Start Port: 88
Finish Port: 88
d. Once complete click apply.
e. Repeat steps b to d for the remaining ports that need opening as follows
Name: XBL2
Start Port: 3074
Finish Port: 3074

Name: XBL3
Type: TCP
Start Port: 3074
Finish Port: 3074

Name: XBL4
Type: TCP
Start Port: 53
Finish Port: 53

Name: XBL5
Start Port: 53
Finish Port: 53

4. The router – port forwarding the require ports part 2
a. On the left hand side click firewall rules.
b. Under inbound services click add.
c. Click the drop down box at the top for service and select XBL1
d. Enter your Xbox's IP address in the boxes for send to lan server 192.168.0.101
e. Click apply
f. Repeat steps b to e for XBL2 ,XBL3, XBL4 & XBL5
g. Make sure that you change the firewall selection to allways allow on each of these.
Your xbox live ports are now configured, Pick up your xbox controller for the final part.

5. The Xbox
a. Reboot your Xbox.
b. go to system settings
c. go to network settings
d. Go to test Xbox LIVEconnection.
e. This should now have passed all the tests and reported that Xbox LIVE is up and running

Job Done.
Hope this helps a few people out there that have strict or mod NAT types.

Last edited:

gkf9

Distinguished Member
Hi
Great write up.

Will this make a difference with multiplayer online ie better?

Thanks.

loz488

Standard Member
hi, This will help you get better connections to games and also allow you to chat and connect to everyone else on live. So in answer to your question... i guess if you have a better connection to games then yeah multiplayer will be better.

gkf9

Distinguished Member
hi, This will help you get better connections to games and also allow you to chat and connect to everyone else on live. So in answer to your question... i guess if you have a better connection to games then yeah multiplayer will be better.

Ok thank you will give this go.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I always found with the Sky Router a quick reset and it goes straight to a Open Nat or even just changing the Network settings on the 360 to manual and then back to Auto. Or just run a Xbox Live Test and normally it should correct it and ala Open Nat.

I never had to do the above to my Sky Router or any other Router.

loz488

Standard Member
I always found with the Sky Router a quick reset and it goes straight to a Open Nat or even just changing the Network settings on the 360 to manual and then back to Auto. Or just run a Xbox Live Test and normally it should correct it and ala Open Nat.

I never had to do the above to my Sky Router or any other Router.

Not everyone is as lucky as you, including myself. thats why i have done this guide so anyone that cant get an open NAT or keeps getting kicked out of xbox live games can get a nice smooth and fixed connection to xbox live.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
Not everyone is as lucky as you, including myself. thats why i have done this guide so anyone that cant get an open NAT or keeps getting kicked out of xbox live games can get a nice smooth and fixed connection to xbox live.

I understand the need for the guide.
I was just saying that sometimes the above is not needed and can be sorted with a Router Reset as per my experience, ofcourse if that does not help then your guide will.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom