open my new sony rdr-hxd1070b (picture)

klemn007

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello I am new on this forum.I opened my new dvd/hdd recorder Sony RDR-HXD1070B.I don't understand why this product isn't playing divx format on the HDD or USB.Does anybodey know if it's possible to connect disc on computer and copy Divx's on?

Regards from Slovenija.(product cost 720€ on the shop by cash)

p9030402.jpg

label on the disk
p9030403.jpg

This thread was created a while back.

Just wanted to ask the OP why you took the back off?

Hello I am new on this forum.I opened my new dvd/hdd recorder Sony RDR-HXD1070B.I don't understand why this product isn't playing divx format on the HDD or USB.Does anybodey know if it's possible to connect disc on computer and copy Divx's on?

to ask if the HDD could be connected to a computer to transfer divx files to it.

I was thinking of the warranty.

Having upgraded the HDD in my Sky+ box with ease I was wondering if anyone has attempted this with one of these babies... I just can't believe the model price differences on this range, it's outrageous..

Having upgraded the HDD in my Sky+ box with ease I was wondering if anyone has attempted this with one of these babies... I just can't believe the model price differences on this range, it's outrageous..

I know, the only difference realy is just the Hard Drive Size and probably a slightly different firmware so I sees the drive as bigger size!!!... Sata Hard drives cost pennies so I dont know why they have to bang the price up that much for each model...

There is nothing outrageous about a price.

If you don't like it. Don't pay it. It is not obligatory.

And they say that dvd recorder manufacturers are not making any profits.

If it's for pc use , u can ethernet cables for under £1. That cable would work with pc's only - there is no software on the sony for networking.

You can't tranfer divx files to the sony dvd recorders only play then via dvd.
You can only tranfer music and audio.

Even if you transfered divx files onto the hard disk by direct sata connection, it probably wouldn't see the files anyhow.

You could experment by copying some music and pic files to the sony by usb, plug the sata drive into your pc and see where they are stored then put some avi files into the same location and see what happens. It would have a file filter to look for extentions of .mp3, .jpg.

On the menu you can select pic and music playback so where would you stand with divx?

It is extremely doubtful that Windows would be able to recognise the file format. It will not see the partition.

Even those who know what they are doing have never been able to manage this, AFAIK.

I am thinking of buying the 970 however I can not see the point of copying divx files to the hard disk anyhow so that doesn't bother me personally.

You can put 6 movies on a 20p dvd.

It depends on the file system they use on the Sony and probably can be read, there is always a way but to no point.

I can't see it working myself due to the file filters, I don't think I'd take it apart anyhow as it would void the warranty.

The only way you could play divx and transfer via usb is if sony decided to change the firmware.

I would have said get a Samsung SH855M as it can transfer divx via usb to the hdd, however I owned one and returned it for a refund due to the fact it was :censored:

There is the new Philips DVDR5570 coming out soon that can do it as well.

LG dvd recorders have had this function for years. You can pick up an LG RH177 for around £150 with an 80GB hdd, take out the hard disk and replace with a bigger drive.

Also the LG can record in xvid.

Also the LG can record in xvid.

Marty ...can you please explain this xVid recording.... what 'exactly' does it do...(convert VOBs to divx ???)

It's another compression to complete with divx used on the net for downloads.

There is a code you put into the LG RH177 that makes it record in XVID.

They use xvid because they don't have to pay royalty to the creators of divx.

It doesn't do any conversion of recorded material, it just records in xvid so it gives you more space on your harddisk.

Wow! I'm glad I bought the 870! £260 difference between the 870 and 1070, but the difference in retail price between the Barracuda HDDs is £45!!!!

Anyone feeling brave enough to try? :D

HDD recorder brands like Sony put something into the firmware to stop you changing the hdd.

You could do with some brands like LG, but they may have changed that as well.

There is a website dedicated to changing hard disks on dvd recorders, you'll have to search the net for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom