Quantcast

Open Ford B class event - Tuesday 10th Jan 9.00pm

nick501

Thinking about it, i do think i enjoyed the pre-race preparations for this more than any other.

Live and learn.

If i do this sort of thing again, i will reduce the amount of cars available to say 4 or 5.

aphex232

there was defo a spark missing last night i agree, there was a lack of game banter as well, was still enjoyable for me anyway, choosing the wrong car was part of the fun and it made me work harder! i think thats why the DTM+mr2/mx5 nights was so good, because the pace was very close. Hopefully the next race will liven our spirits again :thumbsup: I know im majorly looking forward to the DTM re-run!!!

Im gonna start preparing the spiel for a BTCC night soon and book a date in for the event.

Did anyone else take any photos last night?

mattg

I'll try and get some tonight, I have a few of the replays up until hock

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
It was no good for me but that's down to my not having enough time to refine a stable of competitive cars. I never expect to win but I like to be in the middle of the pack, even towards the back is okay but not bringing up the rear in a poorly tuned car, it's no fun at all.

Raptor Tempus

Novice Member
Hey Nick - Thanks for another goodun!

I had a great time, had a few bits of close racing in the 70's Mustang which is pretty tricky and didnt last long, but was great fun while it did....the noise from that Mach 1 is incredible! Was in fits of laughter when the lag cannon "aka Techpond" fired my KA half way to hell and back at Hock.

I made some pretty poor decisions car wise (which is just due to a lack of time spent checking them out) and often got left in the dust.... but it was still a good laugh + good racing. I think more open events like this can work fine, but the amount of time investigating cars definately plays a bigger role in the race.

Thanks to everyone for another great night! :)

nick501

Thanks guys, looks like some enjoyed it and some were so-so.

I just like to see more races like the first 3 laps of Tsukuba (before i rolled), with multiple cars having their necks wrung battling for the lead.

mattg

one idea would be to draw up a list of 4 or 5 tracks that will be raced, with a couple of wild cards. that way you'll need a fast one, slow one, big one etc. and still have a few choices to make on the night. I knew for example I'd run the '92 around hock and the rs1800 around tsukuba and had closer racing because of it. On one lap I think me and jz were door to door around the entire last bend on tsukuba before fighting for the racing line into turn 1,2 and 3. (Then i rolled lol).

Another idea is to suggest you turn up with at least 3 cars to the open event and run each car at least once on the night.

My King cobra choice was a big mistake and I should have spent more time in it. The long, red-lined trip down the grandstand at sunset peninsular maxing out at the puny total of 113mph was painful!

nick501

Good idea matt, i like that - Listing the tracks so you have to prepare a car to match.

Something for next time. :)

redboy1

Cheers for the race night nick.

I wasn't very competitive last night, don't know if my cars wernt much cop or I was picking the wrong type of car for the tracks.
Still had some good races though.
My personal prefrence are the night's where the cars are evenly matched with just the choice of 2 or 3 cars. Would like a night where there is only 1 car to choose, something like a mini John cooper works night that is tuned to an inch of its life, then its just down to tuning and pure driving skill on the night.
I would try organising a night but don't have a Mic.

Last edited:

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
A John Cooper works night would be good. Maybe just do the full handling pack, i.e. full weight reduction, roll cage, suspension, brakes, wider race tyres etc.... and leave the engines stock? Maybe a race exhaust and flywheel just to pep them up a bit. Could be a lot of fun?

Something like this had crossed my mind before but I know FWD cars aren't very popular here.

mattg

I'd sign up to a mini works night and a few of the shorter tracks to keep the lapping intense. Catalunya school was a nice surprise as I struggle with the gp circuit.

Why not get a race sorted for next week redboy, monday or wednesday works for me.

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
As Matt said, get a night booked in next week. I'm clear any night, although Monday-Wednesday would be best.

I'd be happy to host if you tell me what tracks you want to run and lobby settings, or I'm sure Matt or Nick would be happy to oblige too.

mattg

this has to happen, you can do it redboy!!

windoesnot

John Cooper night sounds mint, some races on the shorter tracks with a good number of laps should make for some great racing

redboy1

Ok ill start a thread and take it from there. Ive done a quick full tune of the car a while ago and must admit it was great fun to drive and sounds like the engine is being thraped within an inch of its life.

mattg

looking forward to it, happy to build one up and put in some laps if you want to check times etc.

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
I think it would work best if every car uses the same build rather than building to a class limit. We haven't really done any racing with identical cars yet, the DTM probably being the closest to it.

Putting everyone in exactly the same car would definitely provide the closest racing.

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
so a bog standard Mini Cooper, with maybe race tyres and race brakes etc?

sounds good to me.

let us know exactly how you want the Mini's to be and i will do some testing tonight

mattg

I think it would work best if every car uses the same build rather than building to a class limit. We haven't really done any racing with identical cars yet, the DTM probably being the closest to it.

Putting everyone in exactly the same car would definitely provide the closest racing.
as it is a one car race night, this makes sense to me to keep the parts upgrade identical. Then you are free to tune to your personal driving preference / wait for Nick to make an awesome one.

redboy1

Started a thread :smashin: Ive gone for pretty much ALL upgrades apart from wings & body upgrades :rolleyes: Seems to handle ok with no fine tuning but will skid if your not careful. tried it with TCS off, definitely a no no with front wheel drive.

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
Try fitting the limited slip diff. It's pretty much essential on high power fwd cars.