open ear headphones for gaming and 1970's music

JollyJamma

Hi all

I'm in the process of getting a Ifi Zen DAC v2 with power for a higher impedance headset and I've thought I'd like to get a new pair of headphones to match.

I've currently got a pair of Sennheiser Momentum's (I think either v1 or v2) and I love them but they aren't the last word in audio quality. I've had them since 2017 and I use them for gaming and listening to music. They work bloody well for the price and I've gotten more than my fair share of value out of them.

I considered getting some Sony WMX4 over ears but I already have a set of Sony wireless WH-CH700N which work fine for working in a noisy environment.

I've listening to the QC 35s and found them a tad too neutral. I like a slightly warmer sound to my headphones but a neutral sound is not a deal breaker.

I don't know about a budget. I've a tight bugger but if it's worth the money, I'll spend it. Looking at maybe the Beyerdynamic Amiron or Grado SR325x but I'm concerned about the speaker grill being so close to the ears for the Grado. Also saw the Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X.

I have ears that do not touching the grill. The Amiron's look pricey but might be worth it. The DT900ProX model might be a great compromise.

I listen to a lot of genres including 1970s music disco/rock, modern electro including N'to, and Radiohead. I play a lot of PUBG on the PC.

ostewart

If you found the QC35's too neutral, the Grado will definitely not suit your tastes.

The Amiron home are lovely, kind of relaxed and smooth sounding.

I personally would recommend the Sivga Phoenix - they are full sounding for an open back and also work extremely well for gaming.

1649329713266.png

JollyJamma

@ostewart, Thank you for the reply. Will give them a try if I can.

Definitely sounds like grado won't do it for me. I watched a LLT review on their Hemp headsets and their opinion of the audio wasn't superb.

Is that your personal Sivga Phoenix, is the mic an optional addon?

ostewart

@ostewart, Thank you for the reply. Will give them a try if I can.

Definitely sounds like grado won't do it for me. I watched a LLT review on their Hemp headsets and their opinion of the audio wasn't superb.

Is that your personal Sivga Phoenix, is the mic an optional addon?

Yeah that's my Phoenix, with a wireless modmic (antlion make them)

I love Grado, but they can be a little on the harsh side to some users that aren't used to that sound signature.

JollyJamma

Ah, I considered getting the Antlion Modmic but I decided against it. I got the Yeti X instead.

Not sure if I made the right choice but here we are.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Akg 702

Hixs

Distinguished Member
RS may not have the 702 as its discontinued, but there is stock online. I think they replaced it with the 712. Could be wrong.

JollyJamma

RS may not have the 702 as its discontinued, but there is stock online. I think they replaced it with the 712. Could be wrong.

These?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Indeed

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom