1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oops, another newb 'Is a scaler worth it for me question'

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mattwakeman, Jan 21, 2005.

1. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just can't face (or indeed afford) the idea of going down the route of a HCPC to view films, I know that I would never be able to leave it alone. So with the following stuff:

Arcam DV 88+
    Sanyo Z3

would a scaler make a significant difference to the quality of the picture? Thanks all...

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I hesitate to offer an opinion because I've never had a scaler, but in lieu of more sage advice ;) ... knowing nothing about the Arcam except its' reputation I assume its' deinterlacer is top quality so that an external box won't improve on that (or maybe marginally).

However, you have an HD display and to play SD material you're obviously going to be scaling. If the Arcam doesn't do that (like I say, I've no idea if it does or not) then an external scaler such as an iScan HD or Lumagen DVI will certainly beat the scaler in the Z3 into a cocked-hat. :)

3. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    According to protectorcentrals review of the z3 its got a new very good internal scaler and they don't reckon you will need to use a iscan hd , having just got a z3 myself I can totally agree.

Im actually very suprised how good the internal scaler is - if I turn off dcdi component progressive scan on my dvd player and input only interlaced component the image is basically identical on the pj. Now that did suprise me. Maybe I'm using the wrong films to test?

And i've removed my 720p scaler out of the loop that I was using for tv/tivo/freeview duties as the z3 internal scaler is better.

I guess you can turn off the arcam progressive scan and see if the image worsens?

DVI @720p will make a difference with dvd's but prob only if the signal path is digital all the way.

I would hope a scaler as expensive as the whole pj would out perform it in some category. But both my sub 500 scaler and dvd player produced either no desernable difference with prog or was slightly worse!!

If you can wangle a demo - I would. But I don't think component interlaced into scaler will make enough difference to justify spending the same price as the pj.

I take it asking the question are you finding a problem with the image??

j

4. mattwakeman

mattwakeman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First up thanks for the replies. jonny m, no mate, the picture is really good but I was just wondering if a scaler would make all 'that' much difference to the picture. As it stands I just don't have the cash (or indeed the inclination) to spend a bundle on something that will only give a minor increase, if any. Thanks for the comprehensive reply though mate :)