1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ooooh Brother! (100ae)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pinda, Apr 24, 2002.

1. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes It's me again, victim of duff panny units and lazy japs.

Called pannysonic about my replacement lamp, but still no info regarding the delivery date due to "no reply" from japan.
    O.k i had to wait 5 weeks for my replacement....i got it..and now it's in the hands of the techs..it's been 5weeks!!What the?
    Called my dealer and they said "it'll be 1/2 months till they get their hands on one....
    called panny support (independant from the Techncians)..spoke to some chap..he'll also insisted in finding out the delivery date of the lamps..he also added if he couldn't find out he would give me a replacement from their very own supply....hmmmm that would be nice...they better throw in a free pixel check while they're at it! Sods :mad:

2. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pinda,
    Fellow Duff projector buyer, I find it strange that you have been told by Panasonic that they have a "supply" of the PT-AE100E as i sent an E-Mail a couple of weeks ago asking if they had any idea where I could source a replacement machine, and if not when would they be arriving in the uk. I finally got a reply yesterday ( bit late now, as I got mine about a week ago now.) the following is part of there reply.

"In response, I would explain that this projector PTAE100E was launched and is in great demand ever since. This is currently unavailable however we are expecting stock in through May, hopefully this will fulfil most back orders and will leave free stock for customers."

I think if it were me I would be trying to get a refund and source one yourself, as at least you would then be in a position to test it
    yourself for dead pixels etc etc.
    Being on number 3 now i have come to some conclusions regarding this projector.

1. Flicker is common as i have had it on all three machines. The first two developed the flicker at around the 40 to 50 hrs mark, and the machine i have now more or less had the flicker straight from the box. its generally a pulse on the light at random intervals regardless of source material, also you still get it without any source plugged in. I have noticed that the frequency of flicker does seem to get less after the projector has been on for quite a long time, but that only applies to the one i have now.I am hoping that, as has been said elsewhere that it will improve with age.

2.Convergence or Panel allignment seems never to be exactly spot on. I have looked at a total of 8 of these projectors and all of them have had very slight panel misalignment. the first one i owned was very bad as it was red panel that was out causing a BAD!! red tinge to the left hand side of the picture.If you go into the service menu and look at the pixel grid on the grey screen you will i feel sure see fringes of colour in some part of the screen at the edge of the boxes. On my current one the blue is very slightly out on the right, but its not anything to worry about as i cant see it on any source and it is not effecting focus..that i can notice anyway.
    i noticed different degrees of this on the other machines i viewed.

3. Fan noise. again this seems to vary from one machine to another, my last one had a definate whine to it my first was quiet. one of the machines i viewed had what i considered to be a grating noise Hence i left that one alone, the one i have now is fairly quiet so again i am happy with this.

4. colour uniformity. again i am fairly sure this is very common as i have seen evidence of this on all three machines, the one i have at the moment is not noticable on anything other than a grey signal screen.....yet. so hopefully this will not get any worse.

You probably all think i am extreeeeeemly fussy, but the way i look at it is that the projector is not advertised with any of these defects so therefore as a buyer why should we tolerate any of them....well in this instance i am tolerating the "defects" because A: i am generally delighted with the overall picture. providing nothing gets worse than it is.
    B: I have no dead pixels. and C: I would probably find something wrong if i bought a different projector anyway.
    I have been a cinema projectionist for the past 20+years so you could say its my job to find fault with image quality, and to improve it as necessary. I have to say though I do love the AE100 and dont intend to take this one back. The biggest worry i have is the lamp flicker issue, as in my job, a lamp flicker means the Xenon lamp needs changing more often than not. With these though there is a guarentee on there life so for example if we have a 4kw xenon that develops a flicker at 600 hours and its guarenteed life is 1250 we would send the lamp back and we would generally get back a pro rata discount off the next order.
    And considering that a lot of home cinema projector lamps cost almost as much as we pay for 3 and 4kw xenons i find it hard to understand why some form of guarentee is not offered on these to as has been suggested on other threads.

Anyway that's me off my soap box.....All i wanted to say when i started to type this was " good luck mate hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction":D

All the best....Splice;)

3. lukej

lukej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My one suffers from the coluor tinges, on the top right their is a
    green tinge and on the top left and bottem right their is a red tinge.

The green tinge is very noticable.

Is their any way that this can be corrected via the service menu etc.

Do all the AE100s have this problem?

4. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx splice for that informative info..:)
    i luv the panny too..i do have a green tinge to the left of the screen.but i thought it was a dust thing?? maybe not?
    This would be the second time i get a refund.i really can't be bothered with the stress of sourcing a new one...
    Spoke to the guy today, this is what he said....
    " It seems that we do have some lamps in stock in somewhere in the country but they can't be simply picked up..but need their computer database to place the order..which isn't working at the moment..this may take up to 2 weeks to sort out. I will do my best to source a replacement for you otherwise but you do have the option of getting a refund.
    When we sort this problem out i will make sure to reset your warranty from the day you get the panny back."
    Whats the point...guess i'll just grind my teeth and wait.
    No more moaning till the damn thing arrives. Honest.

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The green / red tinge thing goes away when I feed mine via the VGA.

6. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I run through the vga for everything...makes no difference on mine. I'm not bothered about the uniformity discrepecy at the moment as it really isn't noticable apart from grey screen..............I guess that will change, now i've opened my big mouth.

I sent off for a quote for a spare bulb yesterday...Now I didn't imagine it did I, that the bulbs are around the hundred and fifty pounds mark. reason i ask is that this is the e-mail quote i got back today....

WE CAN SUPPLY THE LAMP DELIVERY 6WEEKS FROM DATE OF ORDER PRICE @ £310.00 PLUS £6.50 DELIVERY PLUS VAT
    www.dclighting.co.uk

Now, I and a lot of other people purchased this machine for several reasons, but the operating cost per hour was a huge factor in my case. If this figure is right then surely theres going to be a serious lot of unhappy bunny's out there, would you not say (Me included)
    I guess it will mean i go back to the 32 inch for normal tv if thats the cheapest i can get a spare.

All the best......Splice:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Hello Splice

And no offence to the guys you got the quote from but why go to a lighting wholesaler for a Panasonic Projector Lamp.

The replacement lamp for the PT-AE100 is still not listed on my official trade price list so not got the actual price as yet and there is no way of saying it will be one week or six weeks at present

All of the info we have had so far is that this lamp will be around £140.00.

I've just put in a call to try and get this confirmed - will report back when I do.

Regards

Joe

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Splice

Panasonic replacement lamp module ET-LE100 - £227.01 incl.vat - available Mid May 2002.

Regards

Joe

9. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,

Thanks a lot for the info. I didnt chose them for any particular reason, I just searched for ae100 and lamp on a search engine and it came up with them. I have tried other companys that deal with projector lamps, but none list this particular lamp, most have never even heard of it ( to new i guess). I even tried seme who deal with panasonic spares and they assured me that the machine dosen't exist. i have even given them my serial number and they still (4+weeks ago) haven't sourced this lamp. I can tell you i am relieved that you came up with a more realistic price, although £227 from £140 is still a hike in price isn't it.
    Joe are you aware of an issue of lamp flicker on these types of lamps as i have had 3 machines all with varying amounts of flicker. on the one i have now it flickers occassionally, just a sort of pulse on the light which isn't consistent. Last night i was watching and the projector had been on for around half hour or so and it then started to flicker rather badly for around 1 or 2 mins ( a light pulse every 2 to 5 seconds) then it stabilized and just pulsed now and then, it sometimes will go a fair while without even the slightest flicker. Its really strange. I have had recent dealings at work with a digital projector company and they apparently have had some experience of a similar Phenomenon on some of there projectors as well. Is this a major lamp issue with these types of lamp.
    And finally can you tell me what type of warrenty is given with them, as i have read in several places that you generally don't get a warrenty, which i find incredible given the price of these lamps. I work as a cinema projectionist, and when we have lamps short life (which they CAN do), we get a pro rata discount after the lamp has been fully examined to check the lamp had been correctly installed. a typical 4000 watt xenon to us is around the £500 mark and if it does half its life and develops a flicker or worst case scenario Exploded, then we would get back £250 off the next lamp. Do any manufacturers of domestic projector lamps offer a safety margin in case the lamp has flaws in it, resulting in it having a short life. If i bought a lamp that claims to do 5000 hrs (even at £200) and it only did 10% to 20 % of this, would i really have no come back...... if not whats to stop the lamp manufacturers claiming unreachable hours.

All the best...Splice:confused: :confused: :confused:

10. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe,

I just searched under that model number to see if i could find any info on this lamp and it comes up everywhere as....

Panasonic ET-LE100 Short Throw Lens for PT-L797PEL

is the price you got correct for the lamp, not a lens.

:confused:

All the best.......Splice

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,471
    Splice

(Just got the handle!!!)

Never try to discuss lamp model numbers with your account manager when your both on mobile phones in duff reception areas.

Try a search on ET-LAE100.

Regards

Joe

PS Will read through your longer message again and reply later tonight.