1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ooo which format to chooose ?? (NW-HD3)

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by allyzen, Jan 8, 2005.

1. allyzen

allyzen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just bought a Network Walkman Nw-HD3 and so far ... LOVIN' it !!! :thumbsup:

but before I get to far into transfering my music .... am I better off making MP3s than the ATRAC ?

if say in the future I decide to change to another MP3 player (not Sony) ... I'm guessing I'm going to have to start again ripping my music as I'll need MP3 format ?

or is it not going to work anyway as I've heard you can't take music from the HD3 back onto a PC ?

ooo help !! :rolleyes: hee

thanks guys :thumbsup:

2. akan7

akan7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    mp3 mate at 192

3. allyzen

allyzen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey akan7 ... thanks heaps foor the uber swift reply :)

so is that also the best quality format ?

and do you know the answer to me - is it not going to work anyway as I've heard you can't take music from the HD3 back onto a PC ? .... conundrum ?

cheers all :D

4. akan7

akan7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    not sure bout hd3 back to pc
    but all my music are store as mp3 on my hard drive
    not sure about being best but you can't go bad with 192+ encoder

5. allyzen

allyzen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you have the HD3 then Akan ?

:)

6. akan7

akan7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    yes black from Richer sound
    lovin it :clap:

7. Stahlhart!

Stahlhart!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey!

I once read that u cannot really tell a difference from 160kbit/s up.
    But for the most mp3 players u can't copy you're music back to pc, what is part of Digital Rights Management. And for that reason you also have to use a software to transfer the music with every available HD-Player.

By the way, I'm getting a nw-hd1 and sonicstage is converting the music to Atrac on the fly while copying, so you can have you're mp3 collection untouched on your pc and walk around with Atrac.

8. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64

On the fly is a bit of a misnomer. On the turtle is probably more appropriate. That, and the ATRAC files hang around after the 'on the fly' transcoding so the size of your music library will eventually end up doubling.

Just for walking around 160-192K MP3 will be fine. 256K ATRAC3+ or 256K MP3 are pretty much the same (256K MP3 is what I use). Beyond that, not much point for portable use IMO.

9. allyzen

allyzen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys for all your feedback :D

did a lil' experiment with me mate on this ..... downloaded some mp3's of his that he had ripped at 192kbps ...... and had a listen ..... problem was ... you cannot adjust the sound settings .... i.e. studio / live / club etc ... graphic equalisers ....

I thought my walkman was poooped until I tried an album that I had ripped as an Atrac and it was all good ..... sound options alll working lovely !!

does anyone know about this ? 'cos I'm thinking if I go and rip all my music in the mp3 format ... I'm not going to be able to change the sound qualitys when playing different albums :S

yours confuddlin'ly

allyzen :D