Question Onyko 608 Dying - time to upgrade?

SlyT

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been fairly happy with my setup for several years (you can see from list below most is fairly old now). I am planning on upgrading to 4k in a couple of years once the 4K 10bit HDR models stabilise and come down in price.

twice in the last 3 days, I get no signal coming out of the amp via the main HDMI channel. The only thing that gets it back is a reset (VCR + Standby). If I lived alone, this wouldn't be too bad, but for my wife and daughter, as the lip sync needs to be adjusted, it is unwatchable without tweaking things. If anyone knows things I can try to eek out more life from the amp, I would be most grateful.

On the assumption I may need to upgrade, I would be grateful for thoughts and recommendations. I pride myself in normally researching everything to the most minute detail, however as this has caught me off guard - I don't have the normal amount of time I like to have for planning.

Over the weekend, two amps came up.

1) the Onkyo ZR800 - I reckon I could get this for just over 500. The main reason I didn't just buy it was that it is HUGE. We are talking cutting out the back of my AV cabinet and have it stick out the back.

2) Pioneer VSX 1131 - the guy in the shop mentioned it and whilst I wasn't initially interested, the price vs features seemed quite compelling.

My issue is that I want something that will last through the next upgrade cycle. If possible, I would happily keep my speakers as is but maybe add Atmos ceiling bouncers. The next upgrade I foresee is TV where I think 4k/60fps/10bit HDR are what I think I will opt for.

Any guidance welcome.

My Kit
TV: 55LW650T
AMP: Onkyo TX-SR608
SPEAKERS: Cambridge Audio Sirocco in Oak 5.1 Front = S70; Centre = S50; Rear = S30; Sub = S90
INPUTS: SKY HD, XBox One, Amazon Fire TV with 4K, Chromecast, WDTV Live
CONTROL: Logitech Harmony Ultimate

Layout attached

Attachments

• Layout.JPG
    Layout.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Ok - so after a lot of reading, will I best benefit from just swapping out the Onkyo for a Denon 2300? Is there anything I would be missing, or any of my kit that would hold me back?

Thanks

Please guys. Im asking for some help, I value this board and really need some feedback.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom