• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onyko 607 Mezzo first time setup

Colin B

Standard Member
Hello All

This my first post on here so I do apologise if some of the question I ask have been answered on previous threads.

I have just put together a home theatre 5.1 speaker system to go with my Panasonic TXP46G15 TV and PS3 , when I say put together I have bought an unpacked but have done very little of the set up as being midweek. The system consist of the following:

Onkyo TX-SR 607 AV unit, Mezzo 6 fronts, Mezzo 2 rear , Mezzo 5 Center, Mezzo 9 subwoofer. Speaker cable is Ixos SH553 and I’m using Cambridge 900 HDMI out.

1. Can I Bi Amp the front speakers and have surround sound at the rears.

2. Is it worth considering bi wiring the centre speaker, considering the speaker is so close to the AV unit extra cable used will be minimal

3. Does the 607 set up differently to each HDMI channel, I want the best possible surround while watching bluray on the PS3 however while listening to music off the PS3 hard drive I think I would prefer alternative settings. Does anybody have any suggestions for setting up the 607 with PS3.

4. I have ordered some Qed P-SCREWLOC-B Qunex Screwloc 4mm Banana Plugs, for my speakers and enough for the AV unit will they be compatible with Onkyo 607 binding posts.

The system will be used mainly for gaming and watching movies via the PS3 , I do also have a BT vision box which will also be connected to the 607. If anyone as experience with a similar setup or feels previous threads or any other material would be suitable and worth reading could you send me the link as this my first time setting up a surround sound system.

Thanks

Col

NO CARRIER

Standard Member
1. Can I Bi Amp the front speakers and have surround sound at the rears.

If you are set up with a 5.1 (which you are), then you can bi-amp the fronts. If you're using a 7.1 setup, then you cannot bi-amp the front speakers.

2. Is it worth considering bi wiring the centre speaker, considering the speaker is so close to the AV unit extra cable used will be minimal

Note that the 607 does not support bi-amping the center channel. Bi-wiring you can try and see if it makes much difference, I doubt you'll notice anything though.

3. Does the 607 set up differently to each HDMI channel, I want the best possible surround while watching bluray on the PS3 however while listening to music off the PS3 hard drive I think I would prefer alternative settings. Does anybody have any suggestions for setting up the 607 with PS3.

I believe it will remember the last audio setting you were on for that particular source. I could be wrong though, I'll try it out tonight and let you know unless someone else gets back to you first. Changing settings is pretty simple and quick though.

4. I have ordered some Qed P-SCREWLOC-B Qunex Screwloc 4mm Banana Plugs, for my speakers and enough for the AV unit will they be compatible with Onkyo 607 binding posts.

Yes. Note that Zone 2 does not support banana plugs though.

logiciel

3. Yes, there are a whole range of settings you can easily make for each input.
4. Banana plugs are not necessary, and there are reports that they should not be used.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom