1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onsite repair of Panasonic plasma

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by nickt, Jul 7, 2003.

1. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any service engineers who can do an onsite inspection of a Panasonic Series 4 plasma? Mine got struck by lightning! The Pace DTV box, Sony DVD and JS RGB->VGA convertor all gave of their lives valiantly, but the VGA input is now very unwell (all the colour are too bright - a friend said something about the attenuation resistors being blown?). The panel seems fine - S-Video and composite all work (I haven't checked component - I don't have the kit).

Panasonic have quoted £200 just to look at it (£125 to fetch it, £75 to bring it back - total of 30 miles I reckon). I would have thought that with the way that things are built in a modular way, that this could be fixed by swapping a single board. but maybe it needs to be recalibrated (I'm sure they get calibrated - right :) )

My insurers asked Empire to inspect it, but they have taken a week to decide that actually, although they sell them, they can't do it!

So, if anybody knows of any approved dealers/engineers etc who could handle this, can they let me know?

Cheers,
    Nick

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I know a guy, who may be able to help, but I'd better ask him before I publish his phone number on a public forum!!! I'll PM you with it later when I've called him.

3. nickt

nickt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I would be very grateful.

I just heard back from my suppliers - they said that I should take it straight to Panasonic as they would not repair it themselves.

4. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Plasma has just been repaired by Panasonic.

I refused to pay their collection and delivery charges and ferried it to their Bracknell repair centre myself.

The good thing about a 42" Plasma is that is will fit upright across the back seats of most cars. I used the passenger seat to brace it in position.