ONN PVR - Hard Disk Upgrade ?

Highlander123

Novice Member
Hi,

I've got an ONN 160gb Freeview PVR (http://is.gumtree.com/ad_image/live/big/273602637.jpg) which is starting to show jumpiness in some recordings, which I'm starting to think might be down to age and use of the hard-disk, with regards to fragmentation etc after a few great years of use.

I was wondering what I could do to help sort the issue out without having to carry out a full "format" of the hard disk. There's quite a few recordings on the disk that I'm not going to get to watch in the near future, so I was hoping there might be a solution that keeps all the data secure, whilst helping with the jumpy play-back.

If we assume that it is down to long-life fragmentation of the disk, does anyone know if the disk file format is such that I can take the disk out of the machine, copy all the files to a folder on my main computer, format the drive, and then copy all of the files back to the disk ?

As an alternative, would putting it into a PC and carrying out a defragmentation of the drive work ?

I'm trying to find a solution that helps, but without formatting the disk, and I was hoping someone could help with some suggestions.

If one possible solution is to migrate to a larger hard-drive (new drive), then can this be done whilst carrying over the existing data from the smaller drive ?

Cheers,

Highlander

Futaura

I'm not a great subscriber to the theory that HDD fragmentation causes jumpy recordings when it comes to Vestel PVRs. I happen to have a 3 year old T816 box (similar to yours) with 80Gb HDD which has never been formatted and has not developed any problems.

Vestel PVR HDDs use the ext2fs filesystem, so you won't be able to read this on Windows without installing additional software and I think you can forget about defragging it using special tools. It can be done though - people have managed to transfer files off and onto a new HDD. There are some threads on the Digital Spy forums (Digihome PVR section) that detail the process. Your ONN box will not be able to cope with anything larger than a 320Gb HDD, btw, and you do have to be careful picking a drive that will work (power requirements are particularly important).

What's causing the jumpy recordings in your case? Could be signal related, could be the HDD is beginning to fail, or it could be something else :D.

Highlander123

Novice Member
Thanks for the info Futaura, very helpful.

I've only really noticed this after the total DSO in my region (SW Cumbria), so it could well be signal related. I've had the aerial coming down and into/through a booster, so I've taken this out tonight and now have the aerial going straight into the ONN box, and we'll see if this helps.

Do you know if boosted signals after the DSO give any issues such as this ?

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.

Highlander

Futaura

Yes, people have mentioned, particularly in the Winter Hill area recently, that boosters are causing problems like this in some instances. Boosters can sometimes be more of a hindrance than a help, especially the ones that a located near a TV (e.g. not masthead or distribution amps in the loft).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom