Only humming sound when connect amp with jack to tv

dbishop

Novice Member
Hi, I got a new LG oled 55 cx all setup yesterday.

everything seems fine but I’m having real trouble with my rather old amp. With my old Sony tv I had it connected simply with a jack to phono and that worked fine. However with the new tv all I get is loud hum when I plug it in.

If I plug my iPad into the amp with a jack that works still.

If I plug a pair of headphones into the LG tv that works fine so I assume the tv connection is ok.

I’ve read about feedback loops and what not but that seems to usually be people talking about other types of connections. And I’m a little miffed still how I’d solve it in my situation.

Im wary of buying anything unless I know it’ll work, bought a new jack to phono cable, no luck 😟

any suggestions!?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Although I'm not sure what's causing the hum (could be a volume level or a faulty connection), but if you TV has an optical output, simply connect one of these units (DAC and place an Optical and RCA Stereo cable between the TV and stereo amp)

This should give you a better result if no-one comes up with a solution to your issue

dbishop

Novice Member
Ok, I seem to have got it working though I’m still troubled as it seems a somewhat flaky fix 😂😂

I did the whole classic twirling the cable round in the back of the tv and after a while the humming went and the audio does work now. It seems to be a fraction from touching the end the jack to tv.

As I said didn’t have this problem connecting headphones into the tv, plugged in and worked no twisting or anything.

so what I’m asking is the tv at fault? It’s brand new like I said. But it’s only an issue it seems with the amp. Seems a bit crazy to try and send it back, I already had to send it back once as it was.

what would you guys do in my position?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I would get back in contact with the company where you purchased it from to see what they have to say. Also see if there is a firmware update. Oddly sometimes the flakiness with you twiddling could just be a coincident and it is a firmware bug

dbishop

Novice Member
Yeah might do that. The tv seem to do some update today, but it was doing the humming before and after.

I feel as other headphones seem to plug in and just work the amps just being very sensitive?

thanks for the reply’s 🙏

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Have you tried plugging in a set of headphones to see if the hum follows to them? Also make sure the volume level for the headphones output on the TV is set correctly. You will have to look at the manual for this, but as you want the full fat signal going to the amp, it need something switching inside the settings to do this as.

dbishop

Novice Member
Yeah totally fine with headphones, I plugged some old iPhone headphones they used to give you worked, and used the jack cable for my mx Sony Bluetooth headphones and that also worked. No issue, plugged in first time. Just with the amp, but the amps fine with anything else I plug it into with that same jack cable. That said it’s been running now fine for while with the tv so 🤷, that said I am a little afraid to touch the jack cable now 😂

ah ok re the full signal, would that give control of the volume to the amp? Trying to avoid that as the amps super old from when I was a youth, and I lost the remote a long time ago for the amp.

dbishop

Novice Member
I say old, probably 20 years give it take. That old? These black box separates seem to last a staggering amount of time I’ve noticed with other people too compared to other types of kit

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
This will be a compatibility issue with dimensions for the jack plug and jack socket on the TV and not making good/reliable contact(s).

My mobile phone jack socket doesn't like the plug on my Beyer DT100, but works fine using a long extension 3.5mm jack to jack socket lead.

It may well be possible to use another jack to RCA adapter lead with no issues.

dbishop

Novice Member
Hmm think you could be right, I took the jack out again to see how the old iPhone headphones seemed when connected and I think seemed to solidly go in no twiddling needed! The jack to phono defiantly a little loose took me even longer to get the amp to work again twirling it, not tried the other jack to phono cable that didn’t work but assume the same.

not sure how I will know though before testing it which will be the right size!? Is there something with jack to phono cables that make them a little looser!?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom