only got CRT is a flagship DVD worth it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NaTT, Feb 26, 2004.

1. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I've had my DV-717 for nearly 5 years but a recent development of a lipsink "feature" (problem) means we will have to part.

I've a Yamaha A2 amp. Digital connections to this are giving what I think is great sound.
    I may one day get a Plasma/LCD but am put off by the price and the fact that HDMI inputs, which I like the result of, are so new and at a premium.

But should I future proof my next DVD player purchase with iLink, HDMI, prog scan etc, when I'm not in the market for a new screen for a year or so?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My feeling..... dont do anything at the moment.

I am in the boat of upgrading (i use a projector however) and can see so much change in the dvd area that i wouldnt be surprised if todays flagship players quickly find themselves supersceeded. I was going to look to get one of the new meridian players, however with so much nonsense about compatibilities and newer hdmi versions and, well pretty much everything, i have declined in favour of alternative upgrades.

Why not keep your eyes open for one of the later 7x7 models, they come about 2nd hand often enough and i cant imagine you will see much improvement on a tube tv above something like a pioneer 737.....

all the best

ad

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I read that as him having a CRT projector rather than a tube TV. My contribution to this would be to advise whatever half-decent player he fancies as an upgrade, if he's itchin' to, and the rest on DVD's or whatever else.

Mike.

4. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    sorry, yes it's a normal TV.

Thanks for the restrained responses. Certainly in line with the missus' likely reactions.

Plus I can always play DVDs on the x-box and CDs on the DV-717, while I wait for an emerging technology to become more established and go through a few generations.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if you can live with the xbox playback, then thats probably a wise idea...... there are the new wm9 players coming soon at budget prices which might be interesting

ad