Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Only Gone An Bought One (MP3 Player)

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by kevH, Jul 26, 2005.

1. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Well thanks to all the excellent advice and tech know how of the many in here ive only gone an bought my first MP3 player special thanks to Extremelydodgy whos posts and know how were invaluable.

The player bought was the end of the line Rio Karma for just 130 quid with 20GB storage and i have to say the sound quality is magnificent based upon my own little trial of ipod sony toshiba and creative all with same bitrate as best i could with different encoding software and the same headphones.
    Sound is also excellent when played through my home hi fi (Bang & Olufsen).

Although the headphones supplied were Sennheiser 300's and although adequate ( they fall out my ears ) didnt do the player justice. So yet again on the advice from the masses here i went an bought some Shure E3's and WOW what a difference it is truly remarkable !! I didnt know that buying these phones would make that much difference but my god i was stunned .
    Everything, to my ears, sound crisp clear and as theyre canal phones the volume can be cranked down at least 4/5 notches for comparable sound levels. Again thanks to extremelydodgy.

On the quality side i know the Karma has had its faults an i may yet experience some but i think with care i may have some enjoyable trouble free listening.

Once again thanks to the many who have posted unbiased reviews/experiences and help the likes of us MP3 player virgins !! :thumbsup:

Regards
    Kev

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Cool. Check for and get the firmware update if you haven't done so already. If the version of the player is the same as the newest available version, you're set.

Any problems, I suggest going to riovolution.com.

3. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Been there dodgy and mines ver 1.68 which i believe is the latest version.
    Thanks again dodgy those E3 phones are awesome imho for the price anyways i may at a later date get some E5's as i hear the difference is as much again.

Now im Mp3 hooked ill use this Karma until something better comes along maybe the HD6 or the improved Karma (Chroma) .......... you just lemme know which is best an ill buy it LOL

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    By the time you get to the 5's, the law of diminishing returns has well and truely set in.
    Personally, if you plan on spending that much on a pair of earphones, spent the same or a touch more on custom fit ones from the likes of Westone/Variphone, Sensiphonics, Future Sonics - $7-800 equates to £500. Not much more than the 5's cost. Alternatively, consider the 4's and get a custom tip for it - Future Sonics/Westone/Sensiphonics do them, IIRC.
    Worth looking into if you plan on throwing that sort of money around.

5. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The sonic character of the E5c is very different (anyone who actually has experience of it will testify) to cheaper canalphones. I like it as I think it's probably the most balanced sounding (i.e. speaker/proper headphone like) of the generic in-earphones, but I think it's definitely not value for money as such if you compared it with headphones. Some might find it over-dark. However as a generic canalphone it remains potentially resaleable, which I did (sell that is).