Only getting 950kbps :(

x liddy x

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been running a speed test from www.speedtest.net and i got 950kbps from both an extension into the other room and plugged directly into the Master Socket.

A neighbour who lives directly behind me which would be slightly farther from the exchange than my house get he gets 4 times the speed. I have BT Total broadband 8Mbit.
What would be the most obvious problem? looking at my Master Socket and it looks quite old, would that effect it?

First all let's get a couple of things straight. You are on an 'up to' 8Mb/s service. Your neighbour's line may take a completely different rout to the exchange to yours.

However your internal cabling is indeed the first thing to check. You should ensure that the Home Hub or router is plugged into your BT Master Socket. Any extension telephone sockets should be connected with only the following wires: Blue & White to 2 and White & Blue to 5.

ALL telephony devices need to be connect via micro filters or you need a filtered faceplate on your Master Socket.

When you have checked that try www.speedtester.bt.com and report the results.

I know i'm on 'up to' 8Mb. Even if i'm not on an extension and running straight from the master socket and i'm using a filter i got with my BT Home Hub. My master socket only has one out put, the phone output and the filter splits it to do both phone and internet.
I've never taken notice of it before but when i make a phone call i hear a constant hiss, could this be a fault in my line?

Sorry, your mention of an extension lead me to believe that you had one.

Try listening to your line with the HH switched off or disconnected from the micro filter. If the noise is till there, call BT a report a 'Noisy Line'. Do not mention Broadband.

How did you get on with www.speedtester.bt.com?

I've heard BT don't offer/supply the best speeds. From what I've heard they will in a way cap your speed so it's very stable.

People I know have been told that their line will only do upto 2Mb (by BT), but when they've asked other companies (using the same line) they can get upto 8Mb, so obviously they have gone for the other company (I can't remember who) and tested their speed and got 6-7Mb.

What ISP is your neighbour using?

I got 755kbps from that speed tester. it said Up/Down 440kbps / 1600kbps.
I'll do the quite line again with the broadband unplugged.
Neighbour is using either Sky or Virgin.
I did the quite line with out the broadband plugged in and if there are any crackles i wont be able to hear them over that buzzing noise.

Liddy,

At the Master Socket are you plugging the filter into the front of it or into the test socket(eliminates your extension wiring from the equation) behind the front plate? Rather than me write a long post here check out section 3 Diagnosis on Jarvis site with photos to help explain.

CLICK HERE

I really wanted the whole of the results because I can't tell what is going on from your précis of them.

If you have a noisy line when the HH is NOT to it connected call BT and get it fixed as noise will limit your speed. As I said before do not mention broadband at this point.

Sky will often be faster than BT because they use more modern kit at the exchange. BT are currently rolling the newer stuff out.

Virgin is usually cable and so is irrelevant.

At the Master Socket are you plugging the filter into the front of it or into the test socket(eliminates your extension wiring from the equation)

The OP says that he doesn't have any extensions and from his description of his Master Socket (old) I assumed that it was not an NTE5.

The OP says that he doesn't have any extensions and from his description of his Master Socket (old) I assumed that it was not an NTE5.

beerhunter no worries sorry I must of read it wrong(hadn't had my cup of tea at that point:boring: )

Goodpoint about the old master socket but I'm not sure about the extension side of things reading the OP couple of posts. First one says
I have been running a speed test from www.speedtest.net and i got 950kbps from both an extension into the other room and plugged directly into the Master Socket.

Then later OP states,
Even if i'm not on an extension and running straight from the master socket

So sounds to me they do have an extension and have tried plugged in there and later plugged into the master socket. Thats why I suggested they try the test socket to avoid the extension wiring.

What do you think beerhunter? Maybe the OP could post and clear this up and that way you can advise them of the best course of action(I might not get on the site later.)

By the way not trying to be a smart a*se just trying to be a friendly helpful forum member:smashin:

Ok, i'll try to clear this up. I have my master socket. Usually i would have my modem in a seperate room running from an extension. So i took my modem into the room with the master socket, disconnected tne extension and plugged my BT filter into the master socket, ran the speed test and got the same results (constantly around 950Kbps). I have never opened my master socket so maybe taking out the Ring Wire might improve speeds, but because of the constant speed i was assuming that BT have capped my speed at 1Mbps which i think should be breach of contract not letting my reach my max speed. As for my master socket, it looks similar to that NTE5 but mine's so old it's turing a dingy yellow :D.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom