1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only fools and Horses. BAD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by shaunthedude, May 11, 2004.

1. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just heard today that a 23 year old episode of Only fools and Horses is getting the politically correct treatment. In an episode Del says the word ****. Out of 1 million people asked about whether this offended them, One person said it did. Its now getting edited... I dont know about anyone else but this country is going downhill fast and is no longer the great Britain we once knew:mad: politicall correctness is getting way way out of hand.

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I read it in todays paper too, and find it disgusting that it is now seen fit to mutate entertainment for the sake, once more, of ill-considered political correctness. A pox upon all those who sympathise with these crass actions.

Here's the Times' article in full:

CLASSIC BBC sitcoms are being vetted for racism after viewers complained about offensive language in repeats.

The BBC upheld a viewer complaint about an episode of Only Fools and Horses, first broadcast in 1981, in which Del Boy’s Grandad talks of a “**** shop”.

The BBC ruled that the “perceived offensiveness” of the word “****” had increased significantly over the intervening years”.

Last year the BBC upheld a complaint about the same word used in a repeat of the Only Fools and Horses Christmas special from 1985 but it failed to check other episodes for racist language. Now a vetting team in the BBC’s entertainment department will check episodes of all vintage comedies before repeats.

Don Foster, the Liberal Democrat media spokesman, urged the BBC not to overreact. “Only Fools and Horses is very much reflecting its time,” he said.

The BBC said that Alf Garnett in Till Death Us Do Part would go uncut because he was designed to poke fun at commonplace racist views. A Fawlty Towers episode in which the Major explains the difference between various racist epithets will also not be cut. The Major is an object of ridicule and the scene has been repeated on numerous occasions without complaint. Basil Fawlty’s rant about Germans is also not considered significantly offensive.

Dialogue most vulnerable to removal will be casual use of racist language where it has been used to get a “cheap laugh” and there is no underlying satire on the racist views being expressed. A BBC spokesman said: “The entertainment department will look at each comedy programme to check that the language is appropriate for re-broadcast.”

3. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, your dead right. Its getting totall out of hand. My young niece came in from nursery the other day singing "Baa baa spotty Sheep have you any wool" i mean COME ON. What the hells going on here. Why at school is it ok to say White board but not black board. the Uk Independence party is getting my vote this year:mad:

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Don't get me started:rolleyes:

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    Funnily that episode was given away as a freebie with a news paper.

The sprit of Mary Whitehouse lives on and mutates into something far worse: The PC brigade, or as I call them the though police.

6. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    It's insane isn't it. Shame on the BBC - I bought series 1 of Bottom a while ago and in the episode called "Apocalypse" there is a line:

"thieving b*stard Gyppos - one of them's stolen my wallet"

This is now dubbed as:

"thieving b*stard Yobbos - one of them's stolen my wallet"

The absolute CRAZY thing about this is that if you go to select a chapter the chapter is called

"Thieving Gyppos"

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON????!!!! I also have the region 1 boxset and it's the same.....:mad:

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    :censored: :mad:

8. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    It's definately got out of hand! What will we have next? You can just imagine a re-release of Snatch all because of the line: 'I f---ing hate Pikeys'.

9. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

:D :D

That episode is hilarious.....

"Tell me more - old bag"

:D :D

Adz

EDIT I agree about the censorship on Del Boy.

There's other episodes that use the same word too.

10. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    so does that mean there going to edit the word ni**er or w*g out of roots ??? or blazing saddles THE SHERIFFS A NI**ER<<< CLASS WHICH WILL BE LOST FOREVER IF THESE OVER ZELOUS PRATS GET THEIR WAY

11. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Why do you call them that ?? Do they need to be kept in a freezer ? :devil: :devil: :D

Cheers
    Kevin.

12. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    careful when saying the N****r word on here. I nearly got barred for having an argumenrt over the Dambusters DVD when people on here wanted Guy Gibsons dogs name edited out on the film. (The dog was called N****r by the way). Its getting ridiculous now all this carry on over what we can and cant say. I agree that certain words are offensive when used the wrong way but when it comes to films etc or worse still changing history to suite a minority then its all very wrong. I go out of my way now as do most people to make sure Im not politically correct.:mad:

13. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    It's pathetic. I didn't complain when they spray painted "honkey lips" onto the side of Chevy Chase's car in "National Lampoon's Vacation"........that had me rolling on the floor....

14. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Totally agree with all that has been said, but refuse to add to it as it just pi**es me off!

15. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Shaun, (and anyone else who is interested),

Right! Let's just get this all into perspective folks!

I am the person Shaun is referring to, in his last post, about the name of the dog in "The Dambusters"! I was the one who complained about the thread, as I felt it was inflammatory and treading on very dangerous ground. I just wanted to make that known.

Shaun, you've made it abundantly clear, that as far as you are concerned, it's okay to call anyone, by any derrogatory name, providing it's in the form of entertainment!

You've also made it abundantly clear, from the last sentence in the post directly above this one, that you are someone who really doesn't care if anyone IS offended by certain words or terms. As far as you are concerned, political correctness - in your eyes - is the spawn of the devil!

However, what you seem totally incapable of appreciating, is that there are people in this world - other than yourself - to whom certain words, phrases and sayings DO offend! Regardless of how old a show is, it doesn't always mean that something that may have been acceptable 20 or 50 years ago, is still okay in the 21st century.

Now, I am not some political-correctness freak, here, okay?! I am just an ordinary guy, who likes to treat everyone (regardless of who they are, or where they were born, or what skin colour they are) as equals: decent, normal, average people! I don't single a particular group of people out, and think that it's okay to label them in some kind of derrogatory way. What you find funny, others find offensive!

To some, racism and sexism, and all that kind of thing, is not about having a joke, or poking meaningless fun at someone. In their eyes, you are targetting that person, and belittling them, because they are different to you.

Why?!

Why, in your opinion, is it okay to let certain racial terms continue to flourish, and treat the subject in such a frivolous fashion?! Just because it doesn't offend you, doesn't mean it's alright.

I presume, Shaun, that you've never suffered abuse of any kind, because you were different, huh?! I presume you've never been stopped in a shop, and been accused of shoplifting, just because you were different, and even though their were countless witnesses that could prove you didn't shoplift anything, still find yourself being searched and humiliated in front of on-lookers?!

I presume, you've never had the humiliation of being called derrogatory and offensive names, yelled at you by yobs in cars from across the street, just because they don't like the look of you?!

I presume you've never been stopped by the police, late at night, as you walk home on your own, after a meal out with friends, for no apparent reason, and then being forced to a degrading stop-and-search exam, just because in the police's eyes, you "looked suspicious"?!

I presume, you've never had to deal withbeing physically assaulted either, by both young and old, for no other reason, than they didn't like the look of you?!

And have you ever been assaulted, punched to the ground and kicked, because you ignored someone who was being offensive to you?!

I bet you haven't! So, please...

... kindly stop :censored: around, and trying to play the high-and-mighty card with people, and claim that certain terms don't offend people, okay?!

Your kind of blinkered attitude, helps people like those I have encountered, condone their behaviour! Your anti-PC slant helps enforce political groups like the BNP get a stranglehold on this once great nation of ours!

This whole issue is NOT about whether something is politically correct or not: it's about the fact that certain terms are still considered offensive, and degrading to certain members of society. And for those people, all they want is to be treated and accepted, and to be allowed to live their lives, without fear of prejudice, or intimidation, just because they are different from you!

And don't try to sidestep the issue, by intimating that because I didn't approve of the censorship of old animations, like those from Disney and the Tom & Jerry series, that I am being a hypocrit! I'm not! There's a difference between altering something in a show or film that was genuinely offensive and an attack on a certain section of society, and someone portrayed in a genuine and authentic way, because that is how they would be in real life, e.g. the character of "Mammie" (?) in the T&J cartoons, who always yells "Thomas" in that Southern accent. That's not racism. That's a proper, genuine woman's voice! Hence, there was no need for censorship! But the dog in "The Dambusters" was so-named, for antagonistic purposes, and nothing more!

I don't mind if people are black, white, male, female, short, tall, fat, thin, gay or straight! I don't care if someone has eighteen arms, six legs, and looks like the foulest creature from Hell! As long as that person, treats me with respect and courtesy, then I am happy! And I will always treat them, in the exact same way!

[Name calling removed by Mod]

With apologies to all the Moderators, and to the head of AVForums, Spectre! I know this post is probably going to earn me a temporary ban from posting, but someone has to say something!

Okay, speech over with! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pooch

16. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    *****!

Having read my previous post, i'll confirm that i think the censorship is ********.

(Looked like i agreed with it!)

Adz

17. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pooch

what you said above regarding my attitude is bull. I am not racist and do not go out of my way to call people whos skin is a different colour to mine. What got me going in the first place was the Dambusters. That film was not fiction it was fact. And to change the dogs name was wrong altogether. Had it been fiction then fair enough but we cant change history to try and keep some people happy. no matter what we do somone will be upset or offended. Everybody in this world will have been treated unfairly due to there skin colour, size, looks etc etc. why dont we just forget history altogether. lets forget about both world wars in case we upset the germans and Japanese. I could write a list here as long as you like. No matter what you do or change there will always be somone offended. When I was at school there were quite a few coloured lads who got stick. BUT there was just as many spoty kids, fat kids, kids with glasses who got just as much if not more. these days it seems to me that its ok for the spotty kids etc to get stick but if they are coloured all hell breaks loose. Im NOT racist. I am against all these illegal imigrants coming over but thats another story and not racist. Anyway Im not falling out with you over this again. All that boils me is the fact that these days PC is getting way out of control. Its ok for the spotty kids etc to be called but you call a black kid and all hell breaks loose

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Have to agree with Shaun on the subject of both the Dambusters censorship and this stupid Only Fools And Horses one. Incidents like this (usually caused by the PC Brigade and the Race Relations people) only serve to inflame to situation more in my view. Normal non-racist people get very angry with this sort of meddling and I can see the time when it pushes some of them over the edge and they become racists themselves.
    If these people concentrated on the real issues of racism and had the guts to confront the real culprits rather than these easy targets, then something good could be done.

19. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Pooch,

You do me up mate.

You constantly whinge on about the cuts, banning, censorship on just about every film / TV programme ever known & ever created.

Maybe there are people who find the stuff left in offensive!

Cant wait for your next "What's on TV thread"

:boring:

Adz

20. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EXACTLY. The way you are going on Pooch, you are saying Im racist. I am not. If a white person calls me a name, offends me or whatever then I will retaliate. Just the same as if the person was black. How come we can say jokes about english Irishman and a scotsman and nothing is said. However, you change the irishman to a coloured man and all hell breaks loose. This is what annoys me and im trying to get across to you. John is right in what he said above, this sort of censoring etc and PC is making non racist people racist and is just going to make the situation far worse.

21. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Shaun, Spligsey!

1) You may not be a racist or prejudiced person, Shaun, but the mentality and expressions are there! The very last sentence in one of the posts above, makes that crystal clear!

2) r.e. "The Dambusters". Yes, it's a film based on a true story and event, but calling the dog that particular name is NOT a fact. It was done by the directors, producers and writers, as a way of making the British side look clever and smart! In fact, it's all very sad and pathetic, calling a dog a racial name!

3) I'm not implying that we should change history, but that we don't need to keep claiming that history was right either. Otherwise, we'd all be saying that Hitler was a great man - he wasn't! That Bin Laden's a nice bloke! Not true, either!

4) Despite the saying, history isn't always right! We probably should try (in some respects) forgetting WW1 and WW2. Ditto with Vietnam, The Gulf Crisis, and the current balls-up in Iraq. War is wrong. Period! There will always be a better solution to differences, than getting out our tanks, planes and big guns! And no, I am not a pacifist. I just think that this macho-bulls*it attitude that a lot of people seem to rely on, is a waste of time! We may not be able to change history, but we can learn from it, and if need be, try to put the worst parts behind us! We don't need to keep dredging up all the hatred, the pain, and the suffering, just to make a simple point. War is basically a government's way of playing tit-for-tat, or "mine's bigger than yours"! It's childish, and it's pointless, and it doesn't solve anything!

5) As much as I agree about children of all kinds being bullied, because they were short, or fat, or wore glasses, that still doesn't make it right! However, when was the last time you saw someone being picked-on, as an adult, in the street, by a bunch of three men who should know better, calling another guy "speccy" or "fatty"?! It doesn't happen! Some things can be helped: the kid who's fat, could go on a diet, or have a set of parents whose idea of a healthy meal is something more realistic than a damned McDonalds Chunky Bacon Burger, or whatever the hell they're called now! Someone wearing spectacles, has the option to wear contact lenses. If you're tall, or short, you can often make the differences less noticeable, by the way you dress. But if a child is not born in Britain, or has parents from another country, then that's not something that should be used against them, to make the child feel inferior, or strange, or not British enough! That's the point!

6) The so-called jokes about English, Scottish or Irish people, or any other nation/race/creed, are something I don't find funny, because of the exact point that I am making: that poking fun at people because they are different to someone else, is not on, no matter what the reasons or how unintentionally offensive the humour is meant to be! They're are ways to have a laugh with someone about something, rather than having a laugh AT them! That's the difference, that you don't seem to get! Just because a blacks in America call each other the "N______" word, doesn't make it right for others to do so. The word is considered offensive, and therefore it shouldn't be used as an attack against someone. As far as I know, there isn't a genuinely offensive, and deeply racist term for a white person! Is there an anti-White equivalent of the term "N_______"?! A word that doesn't elude to their religious origins or sexuality?! I can't think of one, but you can easily name several for non-whites!

So why is that, huh?!

Spligsey

I never whinge about censorship or bans. I try to make a valid case for whatever point it is, I am trying to make. I never ever state that something should BE banned or NOT be banned, without backing up what I am saying!

As for your "Cant wait for your next "What's on TV thread" sarcasm, you are a very sad and pathetic little individual, if you think that that's funny, or clever!

I'll be interested to see what the Moderator and Spectre think of this discussion. If the same discussion on heterosexual or homosexual people came up, I think that someone would probably have suspended the thread by now!

Pooch

22. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Pooch - it's only you that seems to be deliberately trying to get this thread closed as far as I can see. And if you so much as intimate that I am racist I will sue you.

23. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pooch

this is getting way out of hand. As for the dambusters dogs name being made up for the film, well that it totall TOSH. Guy Gibsons dog was called N****R, thats FACT. As for other races etc I dont hear any irishmen winging. You say a fat person can go on a diet, a person with glasses can get contact lenses. Well that implies you are saying there is somthing wrong with people wearing glasses and fat people. If a person does not like the colour of there skin they could wear a balaclava couldent they. you are just being daft now. All we are saying is that a small minority in this country go out of thereway to be PC and this gets nornmal peoples backs up and can turn them racist. i dont go around calling black people. i have many as friends and all of them can take a joke and all of them find Blazing Saddles hilarious. Its a small minority that cause the problem. we have a guy at work thats gay. We always take the mick out of him, call him a fat puff and he takes it as a joke like its meant to be taken and he calls us stuff back and we take it as a joke. just chill out

24. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Yes that was the real name of the dog

25. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Okay,

1) I am not trying to DELIBERATELY get this thread closed, merely questioning the use of certain words and phrases, and the original issue about whether racism is really just PC people being overly sensitive.

2) JohnG - Unless I actually say, to your face, or in writing that you are a racist, then as far as I am concerned, you are NOT one! So far, you have not demonstrated any behaviour that makes me think you are a racist. Shaun, however, in my opinion, clearly has!

3) I bow down to the superior knowledge that Guy Gibson's dog was really called such a name. However, I still think it's unacceptable, because of the intonation that was meant!

4) I'm NOT implying that fat people or those who wear spectacles are in any way wrong for being who they are. I am merely saying, that - should they wish to - it's easier for them to change the way they appear, than someone who comes from an ethnic background.

5) If you're so-called friend at work, who you keep calling derrogatory terms, is really you're friend, then you wouldn't be calling him what you are doing! You're behaviour is atrocious! And if this is what you think is funny, then you're an even more narrow-minded bigot than I thought you were, and have just amply demonstrated that to everyone on the forum.

How on earth can anyone dare claim: "I'm not prejudiced, but calling a good gay friend of mine a fat poof" is acceptable behaviour, has clearly lost some marbles! Some friend you must be! :mad:

I am more than happy to agree-to-disagree. However, you need to understand that not everyone accepts things in the same light as you do, Shaun! Prejudice, of any kind, is wrong. I'm not saying we should all act like automatons, and not say or write anything, or have a joke, but for :censored: 's sake, make sure it really is a joke that you are making WITH someone, rather than AT them or ABOUT them!

What you find funny, others may not. Know what is and is not accpetable! And stick to it!

Pooch

26. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135

27. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    My mum is welsh and she has taken a lot of stick for her welsh accent (which is very slight) and get the usual sheep shagger jokes. She laughs them off in work, but when she gets home it does upset her.

Have you sat down and asked your work colleague if he really appreciates being called a fat poof?

As far the censorship goes, I don't see what all the fuss is about. It doesn't strike me as being particuarly annoying they have dubbed the word **** shop, I don't really care either way. However, I doubt they would use the term these days as it is slightly offensive (many of the shops are run by Indians and British).

Anyone who remotely thinks that these or similar actions would make someone racist needs to rethink their ideologies. If that makes you racist then I would imagine you were slightly racist in the first place.

Everyone has prejudices that is an unfortunate by-product of the human brain and it's system of categorisation. We all make fun of someone different, and I believe anyone who says they don't is a lier (apart from maybe Ghandi :p ).

The problem is not the making fun but the when it stops being fun for that person who is the recipient.

28. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    My step-father-in-law was OIC (Officer In Charge of) N's grave when he flew Vulcans whilst based at Scampton.

And yes, I have blurred the name out on purpose :rolleyes:

"N*****" was also the codeword used when the Möhne Dam was breached.

Attached Files:

29. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Good to see that whatever the connotations attributed to the dog's name now,the name is indeed fact,and had nothing to do with the makers of the "Dambusters" film.....my uncle was also stationed at Scampton,as flight engineer on Vulcans,and all present knew of the dog and his final resting place.

I will have nothing to do with racism in any of it's forms,but there is nothing to be gained by altering history.

30. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well as ever the first casualty of war is the truth! :rolleyes: :)

My own opinion was that this thread was doing fine until certain people started throwing unfounded accusations around. The use of any racist terminology was in proper context - i.e. it is perfectly okay to say "the BBC have banned the word ****", it is not okay to say "He/she is a ****" - if we are not allowed to discuss racist issues without being accused of being racist then we really are in trouble.

As far as the Dambusters thread is concerned the facts are being misrepresented... nobody was banned or warned for discussing the issue, but unfortunately the thread crossed a line into actual racist name calling - that is why certain people were banned from the forum...

I think this thread should be allowed to continue. Keep it on topic and everything will be lubbly jubbly :smashin: :clown: