Only BK / SVS to choose from?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Gasp3621, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    I send two messages to BK, but they didn`t answer. I was asking is there going to be new models this year. Because if you read reviews/tests, it seems that SVS is crushing these old BK models. It is very strange situation, no other brand can`t make good sub for the prize (PB/SB 2000 - XXLS400/Mono+).

I have Gemini2 and it is very good for the price/size/waf. But i feel i need something more. My use is almost only movies/series, so i don`t care the musicality aspect. I don`t use crazy volumes, but i need to feel the bass more. Gemini2 with 10" 150w isn`t cutting it anymore.

Info: One room, open kitchen at the back. First floor apartment building. About 20sqm, and it opens to narrow hall. 5.1 system.

Here are the prizes for models(and colour /BK +50€) i am looking here at Europe:

XXLS400 800€
    Monolith+ 1000€

SVS PB1000 549€
    SVS PB2000 899€
    SVS SB2000 PianoGloss 899€

Xtz 1x12 Cinema (prize not sure, but may be 799€. In tests just a little bit behind PB2000, but very good)

PB would be nice choice, but they are so ugly at black ash and there isn`t coming any other colours, that i have asked. BK is another league in that, very high WAF. So am i really going to have to choose XXLS400, Mono+ and SB2000? Why don`t any other manifacturers bring a good sub for this price range? Unbeleavable! BK`s models are really old and no DSP amp. So i have to choose from nice looking good sounding or ugly looking superb sounding sub. :D

What are you`re thoughts? Is there really any reason to buy BK subs? If only the cosmetics.. When you are different forums, everyone says nowadays BK isn`t near SVS anymore. I remember the days when everyone talked about BK subs. Not anymore.

2. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    I'd be aiming for PB2000, or similar for that open area. Not XLS400/SB2000.#

If you want a smaller box, but with high performance, and good finish there's the SB Ultra 13, real wood/gloss finish.

3. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    For your application, choose the biggest ported box sub you can afford/tolerate or possibly a sub with a passive bass radiator. Avoid closed box subs at this price point because, IMO, they won't give you the same level of low-down impact for movies.

How about a cheaper option (in the UK at least)?
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/tannoy-ts212-subwoofer-review/12593

Typically available in the UK for £400 - 450.

4. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    I have to say the opening to hall, its narrow and small. Like i said i don`t use crazy volume when watching movies, because it`s apartment and the neighbours are other side. So maybe PB2000 is too much? Tannoy isn`t cheap here in Europe, i could get BK or SVS same price.

As i said it is kind of sad that there isn`t other brands making good subs in this price range. PB1000 is cheap, but would it be big upgrade from Gemini2 (10" 150w, closed)? Big and ugly it is. Same size element 10", but 300w DSP amp and ported. Very good reviews.

Mono+ is most expensivest to get here. XXLS400 is option, but again it is closed and people say the lowest notes are soft. Why won`t BK update their models. :( They should bring ported model that price range. It was stupid move with the new P12-300SB model. Looks good, but it is under XXLS400. What are they thinking... Maybe they don`t know how good SVS sells PB/SB series.

It`s hard to choose. And we are talking big money here. Thanks anyway.

5. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    I use a SB Ultra 13 in a small room. Sounds great. Don't know how you accept having BK Gemini in open plan house, as it'll be thrown out even in my setup.

PB2000 isn't too much.

6. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    Yeah that one would be very nice, but SB Ultra 13 costs 1900€. :eek: I have to go listen Monolith and XXLS400, that way i should know what to expect. If going with BK route, i am afraid they release new line. No words, no answers, but it was same with SVS. Some bought the old models and bam! Couple of months and new lines came.. There is lot of talk Tom of BK. If someone has he`s email, i would be very thankful.

With SVS i have to order them from Norway i think (lsound.eu). Have to think about it. PB2000 & SB2000 has 5star reviews all over internet, so they are good buy i am sure of it. Maybe even PB1000 would work nicely here. It is smaller, but black oak. Damn!:p

There is always the thing in my mind, if i can get good sub little bit lower price. I mean any of these subs i have mentioned would be big upgrade from Gemini2 i guess. Hoping some XXLS400 owners come chime in here. It`s always good to hear different people experiences.

Thanks Stephen!

7. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    If you're going for PB1000 you might want to get the PB12-ISD. That is superior to PB1000 AFAIK

http://www.svsound.com/PB12-NSD

PB12 NSD should be on sale as well.

8. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,294
    Hi, I owned two 400's and admittedly they are very good subs. But before those, I had also owned an SVS SB12+ which was the model before the SB2000 and I thought the SVS was better for movies, it simply had more grunt to it. But then saying that, I thought the XXLS400 sounded better with music. Having not heard the SB-2000 I wouldn't be able say conclusively but I would have thought the same still applies today..

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List