Only 2.0 Audio when using Audio Return Channel (ARC) via HDMI

roakes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wanted to see if someone else can confirm a similar issue on their setup?

I have seen plenty about Optical only being able to pass 2.0 but it seems the same goes for HDMI audio via the Audio Return Channel (ARC) system.

I am using the following devices:

TV: Sony KDL-55W905

AV Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR626

I have my XBOX One connected to my TV via HDMI 3, I have my TV connected to my AV Receiver via HDMI 1 going from the ARC supported HDMI 1 port on the TV to the ARC supported HDMI port on the AV Receiver.

With this configuration I am only getting PCM 2.0 audio passed to my AV Receiver. However if I connect my XBOX 360 to the same HDMI 3 port on the TV replacing the XBOX One I do get full 5.1 passed to the AV Receiver. This rules out the TV or the AV Receiver as being the root cause as the only thing changing is the audio source.

Just for clarification if I connect the XBOX One directly to my AV Receiver I do also get full 5.1, it's only when ARC is involved that it drops to 2.0.

(If anyone is wondering why I am not just using it through the receiver it's due to the XBOX One not correctly identifying itself as Full RGB colour space to the TV automatically, so I have to set the TV up for Full RGB manually and in doing so it causes issues with other video sources, so to get around it I am leaving everything else going through the receiver on HDMI 1 and just putting the XBOX One through HDMI3 directly which can be configured independently picture wise, however this lead me to discover the audio issue above)

Thanks

Russ

It sounds similar to my issue with setup. On your AMP is there an option to change the audio out to AMP only instead of AMP+TV? I ask this as if i can audio out via AMP+TV then i only get PCM 2.0 but if i change to AMP only then i get PCM 5.1. The Xbox One may do what mine is doing and think its going to TV so will only output 2.0

Are you sure that your TV will pass 5.1 sound via ARC? Most don't. You send a 5.1 signal from the Xbox to the TV then the OUTPUT from the TV receiver is stereo.

Now on 360 you might find the signal is being sent exactly the same but your receiver is simply up mixing the stereo signal it receives back to 5.1? Perhaps due to different formats being selected on the 360 vs X1 (DD?)?

Are you sure that your TV will pass 5.1 sound via ARC? Most don't. You send a 5.1 signal from the Xbox to the TV then the OUTPUT from the TV receiver is stereo.

Now on 360 you might find the signal is being sent exactly the same but your receiver is simply up mixing the stereo signal it receives back to 5.1? Perhaps due to different formats being selected on the 360 vs X1 (DD?)?

I have 5.1 Uncompressed selected on the XBOX One, that causes 2.0 to be passed, if I set it to DTS (the only other option) then I get no sound at all.

My 360 is set at Dolby Digital 5.1

I'll have to try to find out what the W905 is able to pass via ARC, considering it is the top of the line Sony from 2013 I would hope 5.1!

I have 5.1 Uncompressed selected on the XBOX One, that causes 2.0 to be passed, if I set it to DTS (the only other option) then I get no sound at all.

My 360 is set at Dolby Digital 5.1

I'll have to try to find out what the W905 is able to pass via ARC, considering it is the top of the line Sony from 2013 I would hope 5.1!

That is a good point. I know that a year or two ago few if any TV's passed 5.1 via ARC. But that may have changed as you say with top range ones.

The DD vs uncompressed will be the critical thing in either case.

Yeah I get the feeling it may be that ARC has limited audio support, may only support PCM 2.0 and DD 5.1, which would allow Netflix etc. built in apps to work on 5.1.

Sony just confirmed, PCM2.0 and DD 5.1 only

I bet thats the same as me as well but my TV supports DD+ and DD True HD so im unsure

Finally someone has answered my question. I have been looking high and low for this answer. I could not figure out for the life of me why i could only get pcm 2.0 with Arc on my xbone and everything else. Thats a bummer but Thanks Roakes!!!

Hello there.
I'm having exactly same issue. What you did to fix it out? I try to go to the link posted here but it's not working anymore.
I have a Samsung TV, Xbox One X and Onkyo 626 and I can't get 5.1 audio, only pcm 2.0. I have tried many configurations but no success.
Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom