• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Only 1080p/24, but HD Audio - Player?

lixe

Novice Member
I don't have a 4k TV yet, "only" a good 1080p TV (Sony W805C) and I don't use 3D, especially since the W805C doesn't offer Full 3D... but I have a Denon AVR (X1100W) with a 5.1 setup (JBL Studio Series).

Right now I use an AppleTV 4G with Plex (my media is on my NAS with PMS), but all this 24p juddering is making me crazy.

I've never heard HD Audio, so the first question is, whether it is worth the effort (higher price) regarding my "basic" audio setup, since it's definitely not high-end ^^

A RaspberryPi-Plex-Player would probably be enough for 1080p/24p and DD5.1/DTS. But TrueHD and DTS-HD wouldn't be possible.

An Egreat A5 seems like a really nice device, but I don't need that much power for 1080p only. But of course I could then take advantage of the HD Audio streams. Or does the Egreat A5 offer a (much) better picture than cheaper alternatives even on my TV?

Or is there a 1080p Media Player, which offers HD Audio, but is cheaper because of the missing 4k and HDR functions?

So what do you guys think I should do???

plum23

A RaspberryPi-Plex-Player would probably be enough for 1080p/24p and DD5.1/DTS. But TrueHD and DTS-HD wouldn't be possible.
The Pi can decode True HD & DTS HD-MA to PCM. It'll sound the same as if the signal was bitstreamed to your receiver.

mij

Have you tried the Infuse App on your ATV4?

I have no 24p juddering problems and it looks as good as my old WDTV Live does.

lixe

Novice Member
I tried Infuse a while ago, but didn't like it as much as Plex, especially having a NAS with PMS.
I didn't notice 24p juddering for a long time, but most recently I noticed it regularly, because of a lot of slowly vertical panning in some of my favorite TV shows.
But, since I had a look at the App description again, I didn't know that Infuse can play DTS-HD for example using PCM streams. And I also didn't know that the RPI could do that.

I discovered the Odroid C2, ordered it already and will give it a try. Sounds amazing using OpenPHT, hopefully it will solve all my problems ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom