Only 1080i? Is using 720p going to be better?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by TonyKL, Jan 8, 2012.

1. TonyKL

TonyKL
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I've just had Sky+HD installed and noticed that the engineer set the bo to output 1080i. After he left I had a play as was hoping it would output 1080p but I could only find 720p.

At the moment I am using Sky Sports HD for NFL and will also be watch F1 when it starts later this year.

Would the progressive scan of 720 be better than the interlaced 1080 option?

I'm connecting it up to an Epson TW3200 1080p projector with a screen size around 90". It's also going via my Marantz SR5006, can the sky box send a plain signal and let the Marantz to the scaling which I'm sure would be better than the sky box?

Thanks for any input. :thumbsup:

PS: Sorry if this question get's asked a lot but I did search before posting and mostly got questions about xbox360.

2. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,327
    The only answer is to try it and see on your own equipment. 1080i is usually considered better for slow moving and fairly static video and 720p for fast moving action - although virtually all broadcasts are at present in 1080i so will make virtually no difference on your viewing of broadcasts. It is also depends on how good the interlacing/deinterlacing and scaling chips in your display are compared to those in the Sky box. But do remember that the Sky box is not scaling a natural 1080i broadcast when it is set to 1080i output.

Try it and see, only you can decide which looks better to you if you can see any difference.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. TonyKL

TonyKL
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, I was thinking that if the source from Sky is 1080i then scaling it to 720p isn't going to give any gains.
    However, if the source was 720p then viewing at 720p would make sense.