1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only 1 RGB scart input?.......any reason not to use a splitter?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Andy Davis, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Andy Davis

Andy Davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >>>>>>apologies if this has been covered, I have searched a lot for this subject......

.........I am about to purchase my first ws tele, but many in my price range only have 1 rgb scart input.....Is there any reason why i should'nt spend a few quid on a splitter and thus have more?......does pic quality reduce etc?? any other reasons?
    Thanks

I mean something like this ......moderators.....I'm not sure if I should link to a site, hope its ok.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think that you would be better off getting a switched model - if both devices were on at the same time it could get very messy.

How many RGB products do you need to connect? Any with 2 scart sockets on the back you should be able to use as a passthrough. :)

3. Andy Davis

Andy Davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the switched recommendation........I am sorry, but I don't understand about a passthrough.....do you mean if the tele has 2 scarts with 1 rgb enabled it should support 2x rgb inputs so long as tother input device is switched off?

Thanks, Andy

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    No, my TV has 2 scarts - both of which are composite enabled, 1 of which is RGB enabled and the other is S-Vid enabled.

I mean that any equipment that you're trying to connect to the TV (such as digibox, DVD player, VCR and so on) may well have 2 scart sockets on the back. Usually one of these sockets will be labelled as "VCR out" or something but you can generally plug an RGB signal into this socket and it will be passed through to the normal output socket. For example, I plug my Gamecube RGB scart into the VCR out of my Humax digibox and then plug the RGB out of the digibox into the RGB scart on my TV. As long as the middle unit is in standby mode I also get RGB from the Gamecube. This often won't work with VCRs as they don't output RGB at all.

If you do decide to go with a switchbox make sure that it's fully wired as a good number of them aren't and so probably won't pass RGB at all. :)

5. Andy Davis

Andy Davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha, thanks eviljohn2. I understand, I think!!!!!....

There isn't really a problem using a splitter as well I guess. I say this with a great deal of worry about my forthrcoming set-up nightmare when I get my new telly/new dvd recorder, and addition to the loads of boxes I have already. But now I've found this forum I am ready to take on the challenge!! :)

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208